Support Staff/Instructional Assistant
Jennings Creek Elementary
open until filled
Starting Rate: $10.30/hr
Position will work 7 hrs/day; 180 days/yr position
TITLE: Kindergarten Aide
CLASSIFICATION: INSTRUCTIONAL ASSISTANT I
1. 48 college credit hours, OR, successful completion of the Kentucky Para-Educator Assessment (KPA)
2. Demonstrates competent language skills.
3. Has demonstrated ability to work with children in an organized setting.
4. Participate in program training as specified by the Kentucky Department of Education and local district.
5. Has met health requirements as specified in district personnel policy.
6. Has met the requirements for a criminal records check as specified by Kentucky State law.
7. Must demonstrate and/or develop skills to operate office and educational equipment.
Principal and/or Kindergarten Teacher
To assist the kindergarten teacher to provide a well organized class environment in which students can benefit from the instructional program.
CRITICAL SKILLS/EXPERTISE REQUIRED:
1. Basic subjects taught in the District schools, including arithmetic, grammar, spelling, language and reading.
2. Safe practices in classroom and playground activities.
3. Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
4. Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
5. Basic record-keeping techniques.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Learn child guidance principles and practices.
2. Communicate and maintain effective relationships with students, parents, staff and the public including members of ethnic communities.
3. Perform routine clerical duties in support of classroom activities.
4. Print and write legibly.
5. Add, subtract, multiply and divide quickly and accurately.
6. Understand and follow oral and written directions.
7. Learn procedures, functions and limitations of assigned duties.
8. Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
9. Learn to apply and explain policies and procedures related to school and program activities.
10. Work cooperatively with others.
11. Monitor, observe and report students behavior according to approved policies and procedures.
12. Operate instructional and office equipment.
Under the direction of the supervising teacher:
1. Reinforcing positive behavior.
2. Assisting in instructing large groups.
3. Tutoring individual and small groups of children.
4. Correcting home and seat work.
5. Checking standardized and informal tests.
6. Collecting materials and preparing displays, teaching centers, bulletin boards, and similar instructional activities.
7. Assisting children with make-up work as a result of absence from school or class.
8. Assisting students with oral and written communication.
9. Participating in reading and story-telling activities.
10. Assisting with hands-on activities.
11. Assisting with fine and gross motor activities, physical development, and recreational activities.
12. Recording written materials for children who have visual or other learning disabilities.
13. Assisting with children waiting to be picked up by parents.
14. Helping children solve personal conflicts with other children.
15. Assisting on instructional field trip activities.
16. Assisting children with self-care activities.
17. Assisting with feeding and toileting.
18. Working with audio-visual equipment.
19. Participates in appropriate in-service activities provided by the district.
20. Assisting in classroom organization and management.
21. Maintains confidentiality of all information pertaining to students and classroom activities.
22. Assists certified persons in implementing all policies and regulations governing student conduct for the classroom and related school activities.
23. Acts in accordance with the by-laws and policies as set forth by the Warren County Board of Education, KRS and KAR, and applicable Federal laws and regulations.
24. Performs other duties that may not be specifically covered in this general job description, as assigned by the supervising teacher and/or principal.
25. Demonstrates positive behaviors toward the goals and purposes of the Warren County Public Schools.