About this role:
At Academic Approach, we value the worth of learning for all individuals, and we work to rethink and reshape the role of standardized testing in a student’s education journey. That starts with highly personalized instruction that focuses on building skills that will last beyond the college admissions process.
We are currently hiring exceptional SAT and ACT instructors to lead weekend small-group test preparation sessions with high-performing students. This opportunity includes a 4-hour time commitment Saturdays from January to April, with a possibility for extending employment in a 1-on-1 tutor capacity. Interviews will be held in the Highland Park, IL office.
Enjoy the support of Academic Approach's expert directors, in-depth training, and extensive, rigorously designed print and online curriculum (all created in house). We are confident that you will raise scores, build skills, and empower students to achieve their goals.
Apply now for employment with a purpose.
- You’ll work with the tutor support team to create a schedule that fits your life. 1-on-1 tutoring occurs after school or on weekends, with some weekday hours available as well.
Meaningfully impact students’ lives:
- Benefit from Academic Approach’s eighteen-year history and expertise in supporting students
- The test growth your students will experience may be the difference-maker in earning admission to their dream university or a scholarship that makes attending college a reality.
- Instructors delivering 1on1 tutoring will learn to offer highly personalized test preparation solutions one student at a time, tailoring instruction to the unique needs of each student
In-person, paid training with individualized test preparation curriculum:
- Work with veteran tutors and other staff members to hone your teaching skills, master relevant content, and develop your own individual tutoring and teaching style.
- You’ll receive our industry-leading curriculum to use with your students, but you’ll also learn how to use student data to customize your approach so that no two programs look alike.
- After training, enjoy various opportunities for professional development and other activities that help us build community in our organization.
Full-time and internal growth opportunities available:
- Pay starts at $30 per instruction hour, and Academic Approach offers semi-annual reviews to discuss potential growth and professional development opportunities
- Our most successful tutors have been with us for over a decade
- Full-time tutors qualifying for benefits receive medical, vision, dental, and 401(k).
- Many of our successful tutors have transitioned into full-time roles in various departments.
Are you an educator or considering a career in education?
- Many of our instructors are pursuing education careers and appreciate having the chance to hone their instructional skills. Others come to us from a classroom teaching background and love the alternative teaching experience.
What makes for a great Academic Approach instructor?
- A bachelor's degree in any subject or major
- High standardized test scores in English, reading, math, or science.
- Excellent communication skills
- Some experience in teaching, mentoring, or leadership
- Responsibility, honesty, maturity, and empathy
- Friendliness, patience, and sensitivity to students of varying backgrounds
About Academic Approach:
Founded in Chicago in 2001, Academic Approach empowers students and educators from all backgrounds and skill levels to succeed both on and beyond college admissions testing. Through our data-driven, skills-based approach, Academic Approach provides high-impact test preparation – both one-on-one tutoring and classroom course instruction – for students, professional development and coaching for faculty, and interim/formative assessments along with in-depth analytics for schools and school districts.
Academic Approach is firmly committed to creating a diverse workplace and is proud to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, ethnicity, national origin, age, disability, genetics, marital status, amnesty status, or veteran status. Applicants of diverse backgrounds, skillsets, and experiences are especially encouraged to apply.
Job Types: Part-time, Temporary
Salary: $30.00 /hour
- relevant: 1 year (Preferred)
- teaching: 1 year (Preferred)
- Lake Forest, IL (Required)