Animal Welfare Specialist – Level 2 and 3
Coral World is currently looking for outstanding animal trainers to join our expanding marine mammal training team. There are three immediate positions to be filled and potentially more openings in the next few months. Candidates of all experience levels are encouraged to apply for any of the two positions within our department: Trainer 2 (associate level), and Trainer 3 (senior level).
Position Requirements (all positions)
- For positions above an AWS Assistant a Bachelor’s degree in psychology, biology, or a related scientific discipline (or a comparable level of education/experience that would provide the necessary knowledge to meet the minimum qualifications for the position).
- A basic understanding of Microsoft Office software, including Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds, work outdoors, and work a variable schedule (including weekends and possibly evenings).
- Able to work legally in the United States (Coral World does not provide visas for international applicants).
- AWS 2 (associate level): Minimum two years full time paid animal training experience.
- AWS 3 (senior level): Minimum five years full time paid animal training experience.
Position Demands (all positions)
- Duties require the use of good judgment and problem-solving skills.
- Applicants must be highly organized, self-motivated, and dependable.
- They must be able to follow established procedures, work under deadlines, and effectively deal with frustrating situations.
- Employees are required to maintain a positive attitude, cooperative and productive work relationships, and relate to guests and co-workers in a friendly and professional manner at all times.
- This position requires effective oral and written communication skills, the ability to follow instructions and directives, and accept constructive criticism in a professional manner.
- Duties are frequently performed under physically demanding conditions and potentially hazardous environments, including working in close proximity with wild animals and handling potentially dangerous chemicals.
Position Overview – Animal Welfare Specialist 2 (AWS 2) (associate level)
The AWS 2 works directly under the supervision of the Marine Mammal Assistant Curator. The AWS 2 is responsible for performing all cleaning, food preparation, and recordkeeping duties performed by the AWS 1 position, as well as regularly working marine mammals for interactive programs and public presentations. In addition, the AWS 2 is assigned moderate to advanced training and animal handling tasks, under the guidance of senior staff. This trainer is expected to utilize their knowledge and experience during training scenarios, handling most behavior related challenges on their own with minimal supervision. Additional duties of an AWS 2 may include staff scheduling, project management, intern coordination, or supply procurement. The AWS 2 is likely assigned as the primary trainer to a specific animal, and is responsible for the training, maintenance, and health monitoring of that animal (reporting directly to the Marine Mammal Manager).
The active goal of an AWS 2 in this position is to continue to develop their training skills and gain experience training advanced behaviors and troubleshooting complex behavioral problems. The AWS 2 will also be given the opportunity to lead animal training lectures under the supervision of more senior staff. This trainer is expected to develop leadership skills by assisting apprentice trainers, assistants, and interns with their professional development.
Position Overview – Animal Welfare Specialist 3 (AWS 3) Trainer 3 (senior level)
The AWS 3 works directly under the supervision of the Marine Mammal Assistant Curator. This trainer is responsible for performing all animal training, cleaning, food preparation, and recordkeeping duties performed by the AWS 1 and AWS 2 positions. In addition, this AWS 3 is responsible for assisting the Assistant Curator in supervising the rest of the staff and monitoring the overall animal operation. The AWS 3 is the senior staff member on-site when the Assistant Curator is unavailable and is responsible for making difficult animal training and operational decisions in the supervisor's place. This trainer is expected to use their extensive animal training knowledge and experience to manage complex behavioral challenges and train advanced behaviors without assistance. The AWS 3 must have strong customer service skills and is expected to handle customer related problems when they arise.
The AWS 3 is also expected to organize and lead all aspects of the park’s trainer development program. This trainer must display excellent leadership and communication skills, and acts as both a mentor for the entire training staff and an objective voice for the Assistant Curator of Marine Mammals and Birds.
Please submit cover letter, resume, and references by email to be considered for the position. References required. Please include the job title in the subject line.
Kristine Funk Tartaglio
Assistant Curator or Marine Mammals and Birds
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $14.00 - $21.00 per hour
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Relocation assistance
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
Ability to commute/relocate:
- St Thomas, VI 00802: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
Work Location: In person