About Nuvance Health
Nuvance Health is a family of award-winning nonprofit hospitals and healthcare professionals in the Hudson Valley and western Connecticut. Nuvance Health combines highly skilled physicians, state-of-the-art facilities and technology, and compassionate caregivers dedicated to providing quality care across a variety of clinical areas, including Cardiovascular, Neurosciences, Oncology, Orthopedics, and Primary Care.
Nuvance Health has a network of convenient hospital and outpatient locations — Danbury Hospital, New Milford Hospital, Norwalk Hospital and Sharon Hospital in Connecticut, and Northern Dutchess Hospital, Putnam Hospital Center and Vassar Brothers Medical Center in New York — plus multiple primary and specialty care physician practices locations, including The Heart Center, a leading provider of cardiology care, and two urgent care offices. Non-acute care is offered through various affiliates, including the Thompson House for rehabilitation and skilled nursing services, and the Home Care organizations. For more information about Nuvance Health, visit
Provides continuous emotional and physical support for a woman in labor and her immediate family. This support spans the duration of the labor and during the postpartum period.
1. Attends laboring women for the entire length of their labor in order to provide continuity, an average of 12 hours' time, up to a 24 hour duration.
2. Provides comfort measures to laboring women in the form of positioning, massage, ambulation, hydration and nutrition & facilities rest.
3. Supports patients' families throughout the labor process.
4. Facilitates patients' wishes and birthplans. Does this in collaboration with patient, RNs & MDs.
5. Works from a call schedule. Makes self available to be called in for deliveries 24/7 on a rotating basis.
6. Facilitates mother/infant bonding after delivery. Accomplished by supporting skin-to-skin care and breastfeeding.
7. Conducts patient tours of FBC on a scheduled basis. Assists childbirth educators in childbirth classes.
8. Attends monthly staff meetings, participates in committee meetings on FBC, assists coordinator with administrative tasks assigned.
9. Fulfills all compliance responsibilities related to the position.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
High School diploma and a minimum of 3 years job-related experience. Adheres to Hospital Behavioral Standards. Requires excellent communication skills.
Either DONA (Doulas of North America), or, CAPPA certification (Childbirth and Postpartum Professional Association). Must complete the "IN PERSON" workshop.
Associate's Degree preferred.
Danbury-24 Hospital Ave
Per Diem -The doulas have a 24 hour call. When called into a birth they stay with the patient through the labor and delivery
Exempt from Overtime:
- HS Graduate or Equivalent
- Some manual skills / motor coord & finger dexterity
- Some occupational risk
- Medium to Heavy effort. May exert up to 35 lbs. force
- Some exposure to dirt, odors, noise, human waste, etc.
Western Connecticut Health Network and its affiliates are Section 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations and therefore eligible employees may qualify for forgiveness of certain federal student loans under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. Qualified Applicants are considered for positions and are evaluated without regard to mental or physical disability, race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetic information, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status or any other classification protected under applicable Federal, State or Local law.
We will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to the known physical or mental limitations of a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact Human Resources at 203-739-7330 (for reasonable accommodation requests only). Please provide all information requested to assure that you are considered for current or future opportunities.