Job Code383857 Software Engineer
Duties & Responsibilities
Identity and Access Management (IAM) protects and enables the mission of Harvard University by providing electronic access to thousands of applications, desktops, and systems for the approximately 250,000 active students, faculty, staff, and alumni. IAM maintains some of the most foundational applications in the University IT portfolio and has championed the migration to cloud-based services, developed advanced Agile practices, and served as a benchmark for other IAM programs around the world.
IAM seeks an innovative Associate DevOps Engineer to join our passionate, highly skilled, collaborative team to support and expand the infrastructure necessary to deliver enterprise-wide Identity/Access/Directory/Authentication Services. He or she will help to enhance reliability of the portfolio by working directly with customers and business owners on integration requirements for applications as well as the provisioning, de-provisioning, and lifecycle of user accounts.
In this role, the engineer will work as part of an Agile team on many critical activities including, but not limited to: automating and accelerating the testing, release, and deployment of applications into our runtime environment; establishing and employing Continuous Integration practices and tools in a distributed software development environment; and responding to and proactively addressing operational concerns.
This individual will spend up to 50% of their time doing "ops" related work such as issues, and manual intervention. The software IAM develops is expected to be highly automatic and self-healing, therefore the engineer should spend the other 50% of their time on development tasks such as new features, scaling or automation. The ideal candidate is a programmer who also has operational, systems or networking knowledge, and likes to whittle down complex tasks.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
The Associate DevOps Engineer works with application developers and other DevOps engineers to support the automation of testing, release and deployment of applications into a runtime environment quickly and reliably.
- Collaborate with project teams to support infrastructure scalability and performance
- Reviewing operational systems for opportunities to improve performance, availability, and compliance with enterprise policies and collaborating with other DevOps engineers and Developers to implement solutions.
- Tactical system deployment using continuous integration practices
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or closely related subject, or 2+ years of equivalent related work experience
- Experience working on successful project development and implementations.
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team organizing, planning and executing projects from vision through implementation and where necessary, reaching across functional borders
- Experience evaluating technical problems
- Experience deploying and supporting Java applications in a UNIX/Linux environment.
- Experience with IAM technologies such as SailPoint IdentityIQ, LDAP, AD
Skills and experience you will get, as part of the team.
- Experience scripting the installation, configuration and provisioning of infrastructure, expanding the use of continuous delivery methodologies in a cloud environment
- Working experience developing, deploying and supporting enterprise-level applications in the Amazon Web Services (AWS) Cloud environment
- Experience with standard software development/deployment methodologies, knowledge of Agile methodology
- Experience optimizing stand-alone and distributed applications to maximize performance
Harvard University Information Technology (HUIT) is a community of Information Technology professionals committed to understanding our users and devoted to making it easier for faculty, students, and staff to teach, research, learn, and work through the effective use of information technology. We are recruiting an IT workforce that has both breadth in their ability to collaborate and innovate across disciplines – and depth in specific areas of expertise. HUIT offers opportunities for IT professionals to learn and work in a unique technology landscape and service-focused environment. If you are a technically proficient, nimble, user-focused and accountable IT professional who also connects with the importance of collaborating well in a team environment we are looking for you!
Harvard offers an outstanding benefits package including:
- Please note: Harvard University requires pre-employment reference and background screening.
- Harvard University Information Technology is unable to provide work authorization and/or visa sponsorship.
- This position has a 180-day orientation and review period.
3 - 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 11.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
Tuition Assistance Program:
Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
Join Harvard University Information Technology (HUIT) to assure Harvard’s leadership in IT!
More about HUIT:
Harvard University Information Technology (HUIT) is responsible for the strategy, planning, and delivery of information technology across the University.
To assure Harvard’s leadership in IT:
We strive to make it easier for faculty, students, and staff to teach, research, learn, and work through the effective use of information technology.
Job FunctionInformation Technology
LocationUSA - MA - Cambridge
Identity and Access Management
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.