McDonald’s is proud to be one of the most recognized brands in the world, with restaurants in over 100 countries and billions of customers served each year. As the global leader in the food service industry, we have a legacy of innovation and hard work that continues to drive us. Today, we are growing with velocity and are focused on modernizing our experiences, not to make a different McDonald’s, but to build a better McDonald’s.
We are moving fast and are adding to our best-in-class team. Joining McDonald's means thinking big every day and preparing for a career that can have impact around the world. We are customer obsessed, committed to being leaders, and believe we are better when we work together. Over the last couple years, we’ve launched home delivery, modernized our restaurant experience through digital enhancements and have so much more to come.
We are dedicated to using our scale for good:
good for people, our industry and the planet. From ambitious recycling initiatives and balanced sourcing efforts to our partnership with Ronald McDonald House Charities, we are constantly improving. We see every single day as a chance to have a genuine impact on our customers, our people and our partners.
We are building a field communications team that is changing the perceptions of one of the most recognized brands in the world. This team will be comprised of creative, innovative and disciplined grassroots storytellers that are committed to developing and telling a steady cadence of local stories on behalf of McDonald’s.
If you are looking to join a corporate communications team as a regional spokesperson that earns local media coverage, generates local buzz for the brand and responds to issues and crisis, this position is for you. This position will proactively support franchisees as brand ambassadors and execute grassroots brand initiatives that strategically move the brand message and generate restaurant traffic in key markets, includeing New York, Boston and New England. This person is also responsible for developing positive working relations with local social influencers and local media.
This person will work closely with franchisees, corporate field office leadership and a cross-functional corporate relations team to ensure a steady drumbeat of local people, experience and corporate social responsibilities stories that support brand reputation and business growth.
The manager will be based within the New York Metro area and report to the field communication leadership in Chicago, IL.
This person will work closely with franchisees, corporate field office leadership and a cross-functional corporate relations team to ensure a steady drumbeat of reputation and marketing communications news. This role will be based in New York metro area and report to the field communication leadership in Chicago, IL.
Strategic Plan Development
- Work with key internal regional and corporate stakeholders to identify and utilize data driven business and consumer insights to inform local plan development and execution
- In coordination with a cross-functional team (government relations, public affairs, communications) lead the development of proactive strategic communications plans for markets in geographic scope of responsibility. These annual communications plans will include a mix of national to local business priority activations and grassroots brand reputation initiatives.
- Use KPIs to track success of plan and local initiatives and make real-time adjustments to the communications plan as needed
National to Local Business Priority Activations
- Support plan development and execution of multi-channel communications activations that make national brand priority activations locally relevant to key local media, stakeholders and consumers
- Orchestrate local co-op agencies, operations, and deployment teams (as needed) in the execution of national to local activations
Develop relationships and engage key media, social influencers in the region in the execution of the business priority activations
Grassroots Brand Reputation Initiatives
- Lead development and execution of grassroots brand reputation initiatives for the markets under scope of responsibility.
Coordinate with government relations, public affairs and corporate communications team in plan development
- Work with owner operators to identify potential story ideas within the region that support ‘always-on’ approach to storytelling to local media, social influencers and stakeholders
- Engage and pitch media in the execution of grassroots brand trust initiatives
- Work with public affairs and government relations to support building relationships with grassroots stakeholders and organizations who influence the debate that impacts McDonald’s. This may include supporting outreach to tell the brand story and cultivating third-party support for the brand.
Issues & Crisis Management
- Serve as local issues and crisis spokesperson for the brand
- Stay ahead of the issues by keeping a pulse on external hot topics and key audience sentiment
- Proactively develop relationships with key local media
- Establish a cadence of regular communication to local owner operators and regional teams to build the internal profile of the brand reputation management role and report on results
- Experience with external communications in a corporate environment
- Natural storyteller with excellent speaking, writing and editing skills
- Significant media crisis and issues management
- Significant media relations experience for a corporate brand or political campaign with demonstrated results
- Strong business knowledge with a demonstrated ability to understand business strategy and how to use communications as a mechanism to drive that strategy
- The ability to thrive in fast-paced environments, while being flexible, collaborative and deadline driven
- Experience and genuine interest in uncovering unique and innovative communication approaches to build brand reputation
- A rich background building and nurturing relationships with owner/operators, corporate staff, media and key external stakeholders
- Proven ability to support and counsel senior-level executives
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Experience in project management and large-scale event planning/implementation
- Communications experience including message development, message distribution via myriad channels, dealing with reporters, and writing communications plans
- Ability to lead and command respect among local team
- Understanding of the importance of owner-operator buy-in
- Knowledge of the roles each function at McDonald’s plays
- Experience managing agencies
- Political-style campaign experience is preferred but not required communications, public affairs or public relations agency role.
McDonald’s is committed to providing qualified individuals with disabilities reasonable accommodations to perform the essential functions of their jobs. Additionally, if you (or another applicant of whom you are aware) require assistance accessing or reading this job posting or otherwise seek assistance in the application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
McDonald’s provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to sex, sex stereotyping, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), race, color, religion, ancestry or national origin, age, disability status, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, protected military or veteran status, citizenship status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this job posting or description should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.