Teacher Salary Schedule
The mission of Polk County Public Schools is to provide a high quality education for all students.
To perform this job successfully, the individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The duties are intended to describe the nature and level of work being performed by the employee assigned to the position. This job description is not meant to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of this position. Other duties may be assigned which are not listed. Additionally, when duties and responsibilities of this job change, this job description will be reviewed and updated, subject to changes and business necessity.
This position exists to deliver appropriate teacher-to-teacher professional learning and coaching support, resulting in improved effectiveness of classroom instructional practices and enhanced student achievement. This position will serve in a specified school within the district. This position will be assigned to a mathematics, literacy, or science content area, for which s/he must be fully qualified.
The School-based Coach is responsible for teacher-to-teacher coaching, modeling, mentoring and collaborating to promote a better articulated instructional curriculum for students. This position will also be responsible for coaching teachers about: data collection, analysis, interpretation and usage; research-based instructional strategies and programs; school improvement, and for building a shared knowledge base for teaching and learning throughout schools.
Roles and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist school-based administrators and teachers in analyzing school, class, and individual student data to determine needs in the content area.
- Conduct focus walks with state, district and/or school-based personnel to collect and analyze data to plan for instruction and professional development.
- Assist content area teachers in planning instruction and assessments based on the national and state standards and benchmarks, using pacing charts and instructional strategies and materials effectively, and using data from formative assessments and district assessments to improve instruction.
- Support teachers in planning instruction to meet the needs of all students through differentiated instruction.
- Provide classroom support by observing, modeling, co-teaching and providing specific feedback.
- Help teachers understand state and district mandates and how these mandates support student achievement.
- Provide support for school-based professional development to build the school's training capacity.
- Develop and deliver school-based professional development in content area and instructional strategies for the assigned grades or content area based on targeted school needs and identified teacher needs.
- Provide follow-up support at the school level for district professional development in assigned content area.
- Support school leadership teams in the development and facilitation of professional learning communities for the purpose of professional study and collaborative work such as lesson study and examining student work.
- Participate in professional development opportunities to deepen content knowledge and knowledge of professional learning communities, adult learning theory, and best practices in the appropriate content area, and to develop coaching and technology skills.
- Participate in district, regional, and/or state meetings to facilitate the implementation of standards-based instruction.
- Perform other responsibilities as assigned to support the implementation of standards-based instruction and professional development in content area, such as: identify literature and resources for professional development; keep extensive and routine activity logs and submit monthly; assist with development of district learning schedules and assessments as needed.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Thorough knowledge of scientifically-based curriculum/instructional research, data manipulation, analysis and interpretation skills and exemplary practices in effective teaching. Special expertise is needed in designated content area, including the ability to effectively infuse and support other teachers in the use of appropriate technology for instruction. Must possess strong knowledge base in working with adult learners, documented skills in designing and delivering professional development for teachers, and experience in providing effective instructional coaching. Must possess excellent communication, presentation, interpersonal, and time management skills. Must be highly organized. Must have a documented ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with teachers, administrators, staff, parents, and students. Bilingual/biliterate preferred.
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's degree is required. Master's Degree with advanced content area coursework is preferred. Must hold a valid Florida Professional Certificate and be fully qualified in the designated content area. Prefer that certification level (elementary or secondary) and subject area (content) align to experience for position at work location. A minimum of three to five years of experience as a highly effective classroom teacher is required, during which accomplishment in facilitating student learning gains was consistently demonstrated and may be proven by effective or highly effective. VAM (Value Added Model) scores. Elementary mathematics, literacy, and science coaches must be reading endorsed / certified; middle school science and literacy coaches must be reading endorsed / certified; and high school literacy coaches must be reading endorsed /certified. Starting in the 2021-2022 school year,all instructional coaches must be rated highly effective on their most recent evaluation.
Subject to annual renewal in accordance with legislated accountability policies and availability of funds.
Requires sitting and some standing, walking and moving about to coordinate work. Requires face-to-face discussions and contact with individuals and/or teams. Requires the use of alternative communication systems, such as electronic mail, telephones and computers. Requires coordination of work tasks to establish priorities, set goals and meet deadlines. Requires work with students and internal and external contacts, and with the public.
Requires working indoors in environmentally controlled conditions. Requires sitting, standing and moving about for the majority of the day, and the ability to lift, carry, move and/or position objects infrequently weighing up to 20 pounds. May require travel to schools and work locations within the district.
Mon Apr 27 2009 23:00:00 GMT-0500 (Central Daylight Time)
The School Board of Polk County, Florida, prohibits any and all forms of discrimination and harassment based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, marital status, age, homelessness, or disability or other basis prohibited by law in any of its programs, services, activities or employment.