Full Job Description
Director, Future Labs
We are Radial, the leader in Omnichannel commerce technologies and operations. We enable our clients to profitably exceed customer expectations by taking on the complexity of their Omnichannel retail business and transforming it into a seamlessly orchestrated customer experience.
The Leader of Future Labs will develop and lead an organization to identify and implement innovation in our fulfillment services. This role is to build the organizational capability to focus on the intermediate time horizon (6-18 months), connecting available market offerings with Radial’s day-to-day value delivery. Collaborating with internal and external teams to design high quality, cost effective solutions for our Fulfillment Services network, the group will create and maintain an innovation roadmap, and they will own multiple projects simultaneously, from concept realization through design approval. This can be a remote position.
- Build and lead a team with a focus on discovering, researching, and integrating next generation practices and solutions as a part of the overall order fulfillment warehouse design as well as be part of conceptualizing and designing both manual and fully automated facilities.
- Partner throughout the Radial organization to understand where opportunities exists.
- Solve gaps in long term plans.
- Manage a budget.
- Responsible for building an innovation roadmap, maintaining and executing to it.
- Responsible for evaluating core technologies (e.g. Warehouse Execution Systems, Automatic Storage and Retrieval Systems, Automatic Guided Vehicles, Robotic end effectors, Wearable technology, Machine Vision, Virtual/Augmented reality, Artificial Intelligence Systems, etc.) and integrating them in an unique and creative way that helps solve a business problem and improve the customer and associate experience.
- Make data-driven recommendations, matching available technologies with current or future value stream needs.
- Lead the technical assessment of potential suppliers, co-engineer the solutions with them and assist with the selection, use and application of automated processes.
- Establish solutions that support the vision for the implementation of cutting-edge automated systems and solutions that enable the Radial omni-channel fulfillment network to provide market leading customer experience and fulfillment costs.
- Develop detailed test cases for simulation to evaluate the automation solution in partnership with operation and other cross functional team members, make recommendations for piloting the technologies, participate acceptance testing to ensure the solution meet or exceeds the requirements. Specifically ensure the design is capable of handling edge cases.
- Run alpha and beta tests for innovative automation solutions, ways to integrate them and make recommendations to the engineering leadership team on potential solutions that meet/exceed the requirements of network wide deployment.
- Support continuous improvement by actively adhering to lean principles, design of experiments, failure mode effect analysis, Design for Six Sigma, design for successful, flexible operation.
- Actively engage with Engineering and Operations teams to advise of best usage of current tools.
- Ability to travel 50-75%.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Analytical Thinking/Problem Solving - Be an expert in solving complex problems by understanding the underlying root cause of a difficult situation/requirement and solve it using creative methods. Ability to break down complex problems into small parts and solve them in a systematic manner that achieves the overall desired results. Ability to identify and evaluate multiple options and alternatives and effectively determine the appropriate action based on available information.
- Strategic Agility – Defines a vision for the future, one that is integrated into the broader corporate value delivery. Is able to sell the vision to gain buy-in and then delineate the longer-term vision into actionable blocks of work to implement.
- Judgment - Uses objective financial and business analyses to evaluate the returns and risks of business choices. Analyzes and integrates trends and patterns to determine the root causes of problems and identify solutions. Evaluates short- and long-term implications of decisions. Leverages experience to assess existing technologies, with the vision to see what could be, and can properly calculate risk to make sound judgements upon which technologies to pursue.
- Execution and Results - Uses the advantage of company size, internal and external resources, and talent to achieve success. Applies broad, cross-functional knowledge and resources to produce results that best fit the company strategy. Prioritizes and balances time, actions, resources, and initiatives to ensure accomplishment of critical results.
- Client Focused - Creates and maintains an environment that provides clients with desired products, services, and experiences. Combines experience, insight, and data to determine how to best exceed client needs. Engages directly with clients and develops and implements initiatives, practices, and plans to capitalize on client-focused growth and improvement opportunities. Ensures the removal of barriers to delivering exceptional client, service, and support.
- Planning and Improvement - Develops and implements plans and practices ensuring others have the information, resources, implementation time, and talent needed to succeed.
- Continuous Improvement - Engages in continuous improvement and elimination of non-value-added work. Failure Mode Effects Analysis (FMEA), Design of Experiments (DOE), Finite Element Analysis (FEA), Design for Six Sigma, design for Mean Time To Repair (MTTR), etc. as appropriate.
- Influence and Communicate - Develops and communicates logical, convincing justifications, including lessons learned, that build commitment and support for one's perspectives and initiatives.
- Ethics and Compliance - Supports an environment where adherence to and reinforcement of the highest standards of integrity and ethics are the norm. Identifies opportunities and acts to enhance compliance.
Work Experience and/or Education:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering (any discipline) or foreign equivalent or a related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in Design/Innovation Engineering, Manufacturing/Process/Industrial Engineering, Consulting or related field.
- Experience must involve ownership/management of engineering design projects.
- Proficiency using business/technical software like MS Excel, MS Project, and CAD software.
- ERP and WMS experience preferred
- Experience with complex automated material handling equipment, packaging technologies, robotics and/or high-speed manufacturing.
- Experience with process design and based on Lean Principles.
- Proficiency with concepts like system architecture, optimization, system dynamics, system analysis, statistical analysis, reliability analysis, and decision making.
- Design-in-Safety experience
Job Type: Full-time
- Engineering Management: 5 years (Required)
- One location
- Multiple locations
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- Adaptable/flexible -- enjoys doing work that requires frequent shifts in direction
- Detail-oriented -- would rather focus on the details of work than the bigger picture
- Autonomous/Independent -- enjoys working with little direction
This Job Is:
- A job for which military experienced candidates are encouraged to apply