Katerra is a technology company transforming property development, design, and construction—from start to finish. We are building an entirely new kind of company that brings together expertise in design, technology, material sourcing, manufacturing, and construction as a single integrated offering.
With this unique approach, we have the opportunity to design and build beyond compromise. Beautiful, efficient, sustainable–we can do it all. The era of design concessions is over.
At Katerra, we lead from every seat. Our ideal team members are self-starters that embrace ambiguity, think big, and bring their own uncompromising standards of excellence.
One of Katerra's cultural principles is Diversity. We believe different backgrounds, ideas, and skillsets result in better outcomes. Katerra does not discriminate in employment based on race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity. Katerra encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQIA, people with disabilities, veterans and those with diverse life experiences.
Senior Software Engineer
Katerra is a rapidly growing company, combining an entire industry into a single organization. As part of this effort, we're building high quality 3D software-as-a-service applications: web-native design, construction, and simulation tools. We're looking for engineers with experience developing full-stack solutions with some exposure to CAD software development, to bring fresh ideas to all aspects of this problem, from information retrieval, data storage, artificial intelligence, machine learning, natural language processing, unmanned aerial vehicles, UI design, and mobile development. We need engineers who are versatile, display leadership qualities, work horizontally across our organization, and are enthusiastic to tackle new problems across the full-stack as we continue to push the building industry forward.
The successful candidate will be involved in all aspects of software development including requirements capture, functional specification, implementation and testing with strong computational geometry background or experience using computer aided design or building information modeling application APIs. The candidate will also work as part a global UX design, research and development team and will therefore need to have very good interpersonal and communication skills.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Gather requirements locally from our architecture office in Seattle, and / or factories in Phoenix, AZ and Spokane, WA
- Design, develop, test, deploy, maintain and improve software features and new subsystems
- Architect and implement prototypes and software components of a SAAS CAD application.
- Develop custom tools build on commercial CAD and BIM applications
- Implement software components for geometry processing, modeling and visualization.
- Manage individual project priorities, deadlines and deliverables
Required Skills & Experience
- BS degree in Computer Science, similar technical field of study or equivalent practical experience
- 5+ years Software development experience in one or more general purpose programming languages
- Professional experience with both back end and front end programming
- One or more of the following skillsets:
- 3D web programming
- Desktop API experience for design software
- Product Lifecycle Management software development
- Computational geometry algorithms (academic or professional experience)
- 3D modeling experience
- Ability to create functional user interfaces
- Strong knowledge of the web application architectures, trends, and emerging technologies
- Experience with Git or equivalent distributed revision control systems
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally (infrequent)
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, learning and successfully working in multicultural environments.
Preferred Skills & Experience
NOTICE TO THIRD PARTY AGENCIES:
- AWS configuration experience
- Mobile development experience
- Experience managing large scale global public cloud systems with minimal human intervention
- Mechanical or construction simulation experience
- Familiarity with architectures for large scale content creation applications.
- Familiarity with geometry representations such as NURBS, splines, polygonal meshes and geometric data structures or computational geometry algorithms.
- Experience in the optimization of communication between client and server for 3D CAD or gaming applications.
- Experience with BIM or CAD software (Sketchup, Tekla, Bentley, AutoCAD/Revit, etc.)
- Experience with the Autodesk Revit and Navisworks APIs
- Strong understanding of relational databases and SQL
- Professional or academic experience with spatial database technologies like PostgreSQL and PostGIS
- CNC Programming Experience
- Strong ability to implement solutions for one-off projects
- Experience working with a variety of data and file formats
- Knowledge about web mapping and vector tiles (OpenLayers, Mapbox, etc.)
- Knowledge of basic testing processes or platforms
- Experience with SAP
- Data analysis on geographic data sets
Please note that KATERRA does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the absence of a signed Recruitment Fee Agreement, KATERRA will not consider or agree to payment of any referral compensation or recruiter fee. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate without a previously signed agreement, KATERRA explicitly reserves the right to pursue and hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of KATERRA.