LOCATION - Reston, VA
F/T SALARIED ONLY - NO C2C
(seeking someone strong who is a senior sql server dba with AWS exp and has exp with:
Programming language: PowerShell
Troubleshooting tools: SQL Server Profiler, Activity Monitor, Data Collector, Dynamic Management Views, Extended Events, and Performance Monitor.
Ellucian is the world's leading provider of software, services, and insight to higher education. Ellucian helps the higher education community of students, faculty, and staff achieve their goals more efficiently, effectively, and with reduced risk. Ellucian's comprehensive suite of software solutions includes student information systems (SIS), finance and HR systems, recruiting and retention systems, among other offerings. With more than 1,500 institutions subscribing to Ellucian's cloud services and SaaS offerings, the company is one of the largest providers of cloud-based solutions. Ellucian also supports the higher education community with a range of professional services, such as application software implementation, training, education, and management consulting. More than 2,400 institutions in 40 countries rely on Ellucian to help enable the mission of higher education.
We are seeking talented individuals to join our Cloud Database Engineering team. So if you are a well-trained and motivated database administrator or engineer with strong AWS and scripting experience
and are interested in a career delivering innovative solutions to our growing client base in higher education, then this is your ideal opportunity! As a Senior Cloud Database, you will be responsible for:
- Conduct root cause analyses of poor performance and instability of database systems that are escalated from Tier 2 Support teams.
- Design, develop, and document processes, procedures, and tools for diagnosing and fixing known bugs and problems, for improving efficiency, and for automating common tasks.
- Analyze changes in each database version release, hot fix, or service pack and update the existing documents, processes, procedures, and tools to make sure that they continue to work with these changes.
- Document and escalate database related application issues with detailed analyses to the Product Development teams.
- Install, configure, upgrade, migrate, backup, restore, troubleshoot, and tune a large number of database systems in a 24x7 production environments.
- Collaborate with Infrastructure and Applications teams on efforts to improve database performance, stability, and availability.
- Install, setup, and configure third party tools for collecting and analyzing database performance and stability issues.
- Write standard operating procedures and train database administrators and support engineers to perform new tasks and use new tools.
- Work independently or with very little supervision on all projects.
- 5+ years of experience in developing automation tools using PowerShell, Perl, PHP, Python, or Ruby for a large production environment with 1,000+ servers, and maintaining code in a version control system such as Git.
- 5+ years of experience in installing, configuring, upgrading, migrating, backing up, restoring, troubleshooting, and tuning Microsoft SQL Server databases in a large 24x7 production environment on AWS cloud.
- 2+ years of experience troubleshooting SQL Server database performance using native tools such Profiler, Activity Monitor, Data Collector, Dynamic Management Views, Extended Events, and Performance Monitor.
- 2+ years of experience with AWS VPC, EC2, S3, EBS, RDS, ELB, SNS, AMI, IAM, KMS, Route 53, CloudWatch, and Lambda.
- Experience with scrum development methodology with JIRA.
- Experience writing process requirements, technical design documents, and standard operating procedures.
- Experience collaborating with cross functional global and remote teams with diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrating good interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field.
- Microsoft Certified Database Administrator.
- AWS Certified Developer, AWS Certified DevOps Engineer, or AWS Solutions Architect.
- Experience in maintaining Microsoft CRM databases.
- Experience with Oracle.
- ITIL Foundation Certification v3.
- Experience in supporting, maintaining, or using Ellucian products such as Banner and Colleague.
- Experience in web-based application development using Python, Apache, Tomcat, IIS, and Nginx.