Started in 1925, Mid-West Forge has been synonymous with high volume, high quality, and industry-leading customer service that sets us apart from our competition. We are a family owned and operated company, providing components to the automotive industry as a loyal and dedicated top tier supplier. Our products are in the vehicles our family members, our neighbors, service men and women and citizens throughout the nation rely on every day to serve their transportation needs.
THIS IS OFF SHIFT
Summary: Supervises and coordinates activities of workers engaged in setting up and operating conventional, special purpose, and numerical control (NC) machines and machining centers to fabricate and repair dies by performing the following duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Generates and maintains schedules for all work performed by the die room employees.
- Maintains Die Room tool steel inventory.
- Maintains inventory system for perishable stock items used in the die room machinery.
- Responsible for all aspects of the operation and maintenance of an individual upset tooling inventory as well as a completed tooling setup inventory for the forge upsetters.
- Responsible for maintaining a computer system backup of the Die Room office computer.
- Coordinates activities with other departments, for production support, maintenance repairs, special projects, etc.
- Studies blueprints, sketches, drawings, manuals, specifications, or sample part to determine dimensions and tolerances of finished workpiece, sequence of operations, and setup requirements.
- Verifies conformance of finished workpiece to specifications.
- Develops specifications from general description and draws sketch of part or product to be fabricated.
- Analyzes work orders to estimate worker hours and create machining schedules that meet both internal and external needs.
- Computes amounts of stock and supplies required for operations, based on production schedules, and requisitions materials from storage area.
- Interprets specifications, blueprints, and job orders to workers, and assigns duties.
- Plans flow of materials through department and develops physical layout of machines according to work orders.
- Interfaces with others in the organization to ensure customer deadlines are met.
- Inspects and measures parts and products to verify conformance to specifications.
- Directs workers in adjusting machines and equipment to repair products which fail to meet standards.
- Establishes or adjusts work procedures to meet production schedules.
- Develops, recommends, and implements measures to improve production methods, equipment performance, and quality of product.
- Suggests changes in working conditions and use of equipment to increase efficiency of shop, department, or work crew.
- Analyzes and resolves work problems, or assists workers in solving work problems.
- Maintains time and production records.
- Estimates, requisitions, and inspects materials.
- Ensures housekeeping, tooling cleaning, etc. is being maintained.
Directly supervises all Die Room employees and the CMM/CNC Technician. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems
Education and/or Experience:
High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and a minimum of three years supervisory experience in a union environment. Journeyman machinist preferred.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
Journeyman Machinist preferred
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Must have the ability to train others.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be able to work effectively in a team environment.
- Ability to manage change in a fast-paced environment.
- Must have the ability to work any shift.
- Must be knowledgeable with all aspects of set-up, machining and quality of tooling that is manufactured in the Die Room: Engine lathe(s), EDM, Drill Press(s), Shaper, Mattison grinder, Saw, Manual Bridge Port, Horizontal Mill, CNC Lathes, Mills, and Boring Mill.
- Must have strong working knowledge of measuring instruments such as micrometers, calipers, and other gages to ensure conformance to specifications. Thorough understanding of the functionality of Fanuc or Mitsubishi type CNC controls.
- Experience as a CNC lathe operator is a plus.
- Must be able to read, understand, and edit G and M code programs on CNC lathes.
- Ability to program lathes remotely using Gibbs Cam or similar software would be a plus.
- Must possess the ability to check work using hand gaging and other instrumentation such as comparators.
- The ability to operate a CMM is a plus.
- Maintain computer literacy for all required computer programs.
- Flexibility to help in other aspects of the company when required.
- Supervisory experience in a unionized environment
- Forging experience within a manufacturing environment
Mid-West Forge is an EOE.
Job Type: Full-time