How have you impacted someone's life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career, all within New Jersey's premier healthcare system.
The Nursing Unit Secretary assists the professional nursing staff by performing a variety of tasks relating to direct and indirect patient care. The NUS is responsible for performing routine administrative responsibilities, communication functions and acts as a receptionist to support the Nursing Unit. The NUS will maintain a clean and well-organized work environment.
A day in the life of a Nursing Unit Secretary at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
Performs a variety of administrative tasks to support the daily work flow of the nursing unit as directed and advised by the Registered Nurse in Charge.
- Acts as a liaison in receiving patients, visitors and hospital personnel.
- Manages the unit's communication systems to address needs of patients, families, doctors, and nursing staff. (answers phones, call-bells, Careboard).
- Ensures adequate maintenance of supplies and equipment to support the needs of patients and the functionality of nursing units.
- Attends NUS meetings and unit-based staff meetings. Supports nursing staff as needed
- Prepares, compiles, and maintains the patient's medical record including chart documentation. Ensures accurate labeling and filing of information using appropriate patient identifiers.
- Enters physicians' orders into computerized order entry system.
- Prepares discharge and/or transfer documentation.
- Assists physicians in retrieving records and automated diagnostic results.
- Maintains timely Patient Horizon Scheduler (PHS).
- Assists the Nurse Manager with preparing unit-based documents such as meeting minutes, memos, etc. Assists with performing other unit based clerical duties.
- Participates in daily rounds to ensure patient safety and promotion of a positive patient and family experience.
- Performs environmental rounds to ensure a safe and risk-free environment with follow up on identified issues to completion.
- Takes necessary steps to reduce risks and reports all environmental and safety hazards to the registered nurse or charge nurse. Assists when necessary in emergency situations.
- Attends unit specific staff meetings to keep abreast of changes in the department and medical center.
- Other duties and/or projects as assigned.
- Adheres to HMH's Organizational and Managerial competencies and standards of behavior.
- Lifts a minimum of 5 lbs., pushes and pulls a minimum of 5 lbs. and stands a minimum of 1 hours a day.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- High School Diploma or equivalent GED
- Computer proficiency
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
- 1-2 years prior experience as a secretary in an acute care setting is preferred.
- Possess exceptional interpersonal skills and demonstrate functional competencies.
If you feel that the above description speaks directly to your strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!