Directs the operational, financial and human resource Functions of the CHI St. Luke's Hospital Laboratory, including the Outpatient Phlebotomy area. The major responsibilities are in providing leadership and communication, monitoring the work environment, assuring quality, managing the fiscal budget, managing human resources and ensuring the delivery of excellence in laboratory service. In addition, will coordinate and report on quality assurance activities for the department, managing activities that ensure that the Lab complies with regulatory agency requirements (DNV, CLIA, CAP). will also perform laboratory analyses on an as-needed basis.
1. Actively Supports the development of a shared decision making model, ensuring staff is mentored and developed to assume leadership roles both formally and informally as partners, via role-modeling and facilitating staff participation in shared leadership structure.
2. Provides daily direction and supervision to assigned staff, ensuring that laboratory services provided meet the standards of local, state and national regulatory bodies and recognized professional organizations.
3. Develops and Implements effective communication channels to provide information to all staff members.
4. Directs and Supports change for improved laboratory operations and service.
5. Acts as an effective team leader able to develop trust and confidence among team members.
6. Develops and Maintains a positive working relationship in the Lab, ensuring effective problem solving with other members of the patient care delivery team including physicians and other departments.
Clinical and Professional Practice
1. Ensures laboratory services provided meet the standards of local, state and national regulatory bodies and recognized professional organizations.
2. Consistently seeks opportunities to improve laboratory services to better meet the needs of patients and their families.
3. Maintains laboratory services expertise through actual intervention, coordination of laboratory Functions, role modeling, consulting, problem solving and educational opportunities.
4. On an as-needed basis, Performs all necessary tests to provide data for use in the treatment and diagnosis of disease, reviewing results, reviewing quality control and advising the Pathologist of abnormal patient results.
1. Promotes a healing environment that fosters the spiritual, mental and physical well-being of staff.
2. Promotes a caring helpful environment in the laboratory area including the arrangement of the physical setting and assembling of equipment in a manner conducive to more effective and efficient laboratory Functions.
1. Participates in service and system CQI/CQE programs.
2. Meets established standards of performance, operationalizing CQI in the lab.
3. Develops a multi-disciplinary program to monitor quality indicators in the laboratory.
4. Responsible for the development and implementation of the Quality Assurance program for the Lab by: preparing reports on quality, departmental safety and PT (proficiency testing); preparing and/or routing incident reports, coordinating, monitoring QA and safety activities.
5. Coordinates activities associated with point-of-care testing programs throughout the , to include quality control.
6. Coordinates preparation for bi-annual CAP inspections, ensuring appropriate follow-up for any deficiencies.
7. Ensures that major automated equipment is operational by overseeing required maintenance, calibration, and troubleshooting according to manufacturers/laboratory requirements and policies.
1. Under the direction of the Administrative Director, Support Services - , Develops the department budget to control operational and capital expenditures for capital equipment priorities based on the patient and community needs and according to budget policy. Manages the budget, ensuring availability of supplies through established standards; analyzes and explain budget variances.
2. Utilizes staff in a cost-effective manner; adjusting staffing patterns according to patient needs; addresses staffing needs annually in a business plan and determines how salary budget will be used for FTEs.
3. Pursues creative strategies to lower costs while maintaining or enhancing the quality of the services provided.
1. Demonstrates consistency in application of policies related to human resources.
2. Provides the forum for staff to verbalize concerns, issues and ideas in a non-threatening environment.
3. Demonstrates accountability for human resources management by monitoring, correcting variances for productive and non-productive utilization.
4. Responsible for personnel hiring and placement decisions in the laboratory.
5. Identifies staff career development and training needs and Develops plans for meeting those needs.
1. Participates in community activities.
2. Represents CHI St. Luke's Hospital in professional organizations and activities.
3. Responds appropriately in a timely manner to patient, family, staff and medical staff concerns.
4. Ensures customer service-facility standards are met.
Education and Licensure Required:
After January 2016, all new hires must have:
- Bachelor's Degree
- Certification as a Medical Technologist – MT (ASCP), or MLS, or AMT, or NCA, or Specialty certification depending on lab section (e.g. M(ASCP) for Microbiology, H(ASCP) for Hematology, etc
- Bachelor's Degree in related discipline; Master's Degree strongly preferred and Minimum of 7 years experience in the disciipline and 5 years leadership experience
Minimum Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Minimun of seven (7) years experience in the discipline and five (5) years leadership experience
Incumbent must have the ability to effectively manage staff, with accountability for 24/ 7 coverage, while leading effectively with peers, physicians and appropriate and Health System leadership.
CHI St. Luke's Health System