Supervises all aspects of creation, retention, and dissemination of academic records. This includes registration, grading, scheduling, graduation, and any other record related to the student academic experience.
Master’s or professional degree (MA, MS, MBA, JD, etc.)
5 to 8 years of related experience in higher education; 2-3 of those years directly related to Registrar responsibilities.
Specific type of experience required:
The Registrar must be organized and have a firm grasp of customer service.
Must be able to interact with a diverse customer base.
The Registrar should have a strong understanding of how a University is organized and how it functions regarding academics. It is helpful to have knowledge of Financial Aid, Student Accounts, and Student Affairs practices.
This position must be aware of current legal issues involving records storage, privacy, and security.
Experience with higher education and general records keeping practice is very important.
The work of this position requires the ability to think quickly and accurately, as well as communicate effectively, clearly, and patiently with internal and external stakeholders.
Supervisory/managerial experience required:
Supervises a diverse staff of employees. This position is responsible for department management, planning implementation, team leadership, training etc.
- Special knowledge: Student Information Systems (e.g.,Colleague/Ellucian) Informer, Microsoft Office (or equivalent), Windows (or equivalent), ImageNow, National Student Clearinghouse, Astra Schedule, knowledge of databases, Email, telephone, voicemail, photocopier, and PC/Mac. It is important that the Registrar have an institutional level perspective that can balance competing interests at the University.
Academic areas or major:
Higher Education, Law, Communications, Information Technology, Library Science
Special Notes to Applicants
Application materials must be received by
Open Until Filled Yes
Marymount is a comprehensive Catholic university that emphasizes the liberal arts, career preparation, and personal and professional development. A diverse and welcoming learning community, Marymount serves nearly 4,000 undergraduate and graduate students. The university’s location in suburban Arlington, Virginia, offers easy access to the rich resources of the nation’s capital. Marymount University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer.
Percent of total time 85
Responsibility / Duty
1. Oversees accuracy, retention, and security of student academic records. Oversees access to and dissemination of accurate academic records to University Community; coordinates FERPA training.
2. Facilitates policy development and strategic planning in collaboration with key stakeholders. Serves on University and faculty committees (e.g., Provost’s Senior Staff, Academic Standards, Curriculum, Retention/Graduation, Enrollment Operations). Collaborates with School Academic Departments and faculty council committees to maintain integrity of academic programs. Collaborates with Student Accounts, Financial Aid, and other University offices to resolve problems and promote strong service quality for students, faculty and staff.
3. Oversees and coordinates student registration, including waitlists, for courses; oversees degree conferrals.
4. Oversees review, update, and production of University Catalog, academic calendar, and schedule.
Percent of total time 15
Responsibility / Duty
1. Generates various reports (e.g., Never Attended, Non-registered, course enrollments, academic standing).
2. Other duties as assigned.