Do you care about creating a better world, one in which the poor and marginalized have a voice and are empowered to change the status quo? If so, we have the perfect position for you:
The International Budget Partnership (IBP) is currently seeking a Research Assistant (Temporary) to join our team. The OBI Research Assistant will work with the Open Budget Initiative (OBI) team within IBP’s Policy and Advocacy pillar. This is a fixed-term, temporary position running from January 2019 through May 2020. As a Research Assistant on the OBI team, you will be part of the team responsible for implementing IBP’s flagship research product, the Open Budget Survey (OBS). The OBI Research Assistant will support the OBI team on the implementation of the biennial OBS.
The Open Budget Survey is the only objective, comparative, and regular worldwide measure of budget transparency. The OBS assess the three components of a budget accountability system: public availability of budget information; opportunities for the public to participate in the budget process; and the role and effectiveness of formal oversight institutions. These components are assessed through a questionnaire of 145 scored indicators that are completed by independent budget experts and reviewed by an anonymous peer reviewer and the national government. The survey is used by activists, donors, and international institutions to understand and influence national budget processes.
Why you should be part of our team:
IBP is the global leader working with people and governments to make public budgets transparent and inclusive. We strive to reduce poverty, improve governance, and ensure human rights. For more than 20 years, and with support from the Open Societies, Ford and Gates Foundations, private individuals, and the UK’s Department for International Development, we work with social movements and grassroots organizations, a wide range of networks, and expert researchers to give civil society a voice and inspire action. With democracies around the world under threat, we are at a pivotal moment and need champions for transparency and accountability. Get to know us better.
What you’ll do:
- Perform over-all support functions for the OBS research team, including:
- Collecting, analyzing and fact-checking of government budget data;
- Providing support to research partners to help them fulfill their requirements under the OBS project;
- Identifying and following up with OBS peer and government reviewers;
- Inputting information from researchers, peer, and government reviewers into the online platform used to collect the survey data;
- Completing consistency checks and editing final versions of country summaries for the website;
- Drafting and fact-checking country summaries;
- Drafting and proofreading project correspondence; and
- Maintaining project files and the project deadline tracking system
- Support the preparation of reports and analyses on budget transparency for governments, international donors, and civil society organizations – including conducting background research, creating tables and graphs, and proofreading
- Support OBI program events and trainings in methodology and dissemination
- Participate and present at IBP Staff and OBI Meetings
- Assist with contract and payment paperwork, as needed
Who you are:
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, international affairs, political science, or public policy, required; Master’s degree in similar disciplines, desirable
- Experience working with civil society, government or academia on budget issues is a plus
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office package required
- Proficiency with STATA or other software, desirable
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Demonstrates a high level of organization; a strong ability to prioritize tasks to meet multiple deadlines
- Quick turnaround research skills
- High level attention to detail, accuracy, quality and timeliness
- Proficiency in English, required; Proficiency in French or Spanish, desirable
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to thrive in and contribute to a culture of collaboration and teamwork in a diverse work environment
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility and a commitment to and passion for IBP’s mission
- Highly flexible and adaptable to shifting environments and works well under pressure
- Motivated to learn and willing to contribute to learning initiatives
- Creative thinker who fosters constructive dialogues with colleagues and partners
- Duties are generally carried out in a normal business office environment – i.e., working at a computer while sitting at a desk for extended periods of time
- The position supports occasional event or publication preparation which may require lifting or moving of items that weigh up to 30 lbs.
- Position is based in our DC Headquarters
- We will not sponsor applicants for work visas for this position
Cover letter and resume required.
Job Type: Temporary