ESSENTIAL PURPOSE OF THIS POSITION:
Under the general supervision and guidance of the Engineering Manager or senior engineer to whom assigned, perform a variety of functions in the development and/or improvement of production methods, processes, machines, equipment, tooling and designs used in the manufacture of wire and cable products. Investigate and recommend areas for cost reduction. Perform computations and collect engineering data. Perform feasibility studies; prepare reports, summaries and analyses; and handle other specific tasks as required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Assist with major engineering projects, independently handle less complex portions of projects or complete tasks as assigned. Perform various duties, including: engineering studies and investigations; machine, equipment and tool design; methods development for machining, processing and assembling; materials handling design; equipment acquisition; and plant layout. Work closely with Quality Control, production supervision, vendors, Maintenance and others in improving manufacturing methods and reducing costs.
- Continuously seek out areas for cost reduction. Perform feasibility studies involving cost analyses and consideration of alternatives to determine economic advantage of proposed improvements. Select equipment, machines or tooling; perform inspections at the vendor's plant whenever possible; and submit recommendations to the Engineering Manager. Direct and/or coordinate capital expenditure projects and work closely with supervisor and various members of management as required.
- Work closely with Design Engineering in planning production methods for new and revised products. Make recommendations regarding product design from the standpoint of manufacturing engineering. Participate in the implementation of new methods, equipment, machines and tooling. As necessary, assist supervisors and operators during the course of production as well as with conducting trial runs. In the course of specific projects, exercise partial supervision over machinists and maintenance personnel.
- Prepare operating and process specifications, and other documentation. Maintain various records.
- Work with vendors in investigating improved methods and equipment. Develop advanced methods of production. Simplify or eliminate manual operations, utilizing automation approaches when feasible. Investigate difficulties in production and devise solutions to problems. Recommend improvements in preventive maintenance, safety and housekeeping.
- Use initiative, ingenuity and sound engineering techniques and approaches while performing technical investigations, using engineering and technical literature. Seek and accept functional guidance and assistance from others on matters within their areas of competence.
- Through the course of all projects evaluate, promote, recommend, and work toward a safe and accident-free environment. Ensure that operating procedures for all new and existing equipment have been documented for use by others.
- Exercise responsibility for professional development through continuing study, attending technical society meetings and similar means. Keep informed on developments in methods, machines, equipment, tooling and materials through technical literature, trade shows and vendor visits.
- Perform other related duties as directed by supervisor.
COMPUTER EQUIPMENT AND SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS:
- Training in product/process development
- Experience with limited project leadership (small capital projects)
- Requires knowledge of: machine, equipment and tool design; manufacturing methods and equipment, including materials handling; and specific aspects of product design, quality control and costs
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Four or more years of engineering/technical schooling required. Mechanical, Chemical, Electrical or Manufacturing Engineering/Technology degree.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled