Ciena may well be the most important technology company you’ve never heard of. The innovations that wow us (driverless cars), and those we now take for granted (the ability to mobile-stream your favorite show) are the products of ingenuity from some brilliant and forward-thinking companies. But those companies rely on Ciena, another vanguard of innovation, to create and advance the underlying networks that bring their breakthroughs to our doorsteps. VR, AI, IOT, 5G … literally none of it would be possible without the mind-boggling technology that makes the internet itself work. For more than 25 years, Ciena has been the global leader in networking strategy, and our technology has been part of the critical infrastructure running within the most advanced companies in the world.
What will you do at Ciena?
As an intern within the embedded software group, you will work on our next generation operating system for both Ciena and industry-standard routers and switches. You are passionate and competent about working in a team to deliver virtualized networking products based on micro-services and Container based architecture to our customers. This is an exciting time to intern at Ciena, as 5G and SDN drive transformation of the internet and we aggressively drive our product portfolio forward into the future of advanced networking services.
- Join an Agile scrum team to develop leading router and switching device control features for Ciena’s packet optical product offerings.
- Deliver software in diverse, industry-leading product formats: as virtualized functions for NFV, integrated on Ciena’s advanced packet networking switches, and others.
- Design in an embedded software development environment in C and Python languages using Yocto and BitBake development tools
- Work on NFV and SDN paradigms and environments, working with micro-services architectures, Linux containers, and Docker
- Contribute to software architecture, design, development, validation and documentation of advanced networking features and sophisticated real time system services
Areas of impact
- Software design and architecture, features, and functionality
- Deployment of your work into worldwide networks as Service Providers unify and virtualize their networks, prepare for 5G, and take advantage of SDN and functional disaggregation.
- Two or three years of undergraduate study in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or a related discipline,focus on data communications and/or networking field preferred
- Proficiency in C and python a must
- Coursework and project work to develop sound knowledge of software design principles, data structures/algorithms, operating systems and computer architecture courses as part of course curriculum
- Familiar with the embedded software development, conceptual understanding of real-time fundamentals such as synchronization in multi-threaded systems, IDE, debuggers and source code control
- Excellent communication, written and verbal communication skills, ability to collaborate effectively in a team environment with willingness to learn
- Ability to think creatively and produce “outside of the box” solutions
- Knowledge of Netconf, proto buffers, Dockers, SDN, datastore or network protocols is a plus but not a must
Rewarding experience. Meaningful outcomes.
Making a difference in people's lives through design and implementation of leading network technologies. That's what motivates us.
A distinct way to work
Free thinking, free discussion, and collaboration are the norm. Expect more satisfying outcomes - both personal and professional.
Ciena values the diversity of our workforce and respects its employees as individuals, regardless of race, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, gender or age.
Ciena is also committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, you should advise Ciena in a timely fashion of the specific needs / accommodation measures which must be taken to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received relating to any specific needs / accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
What you can expect from us
You will receive notification of your successful application
Successful applicants will be contacted by Talent Acquisition for an initial discussion
If suitable you will be considered for the short list and our formal interview process