As a not-for-profit organization, Partners HealthCare is committed to supporting patient care, research, teaching, and service to the community by leading innovation across our system. Founded by Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Massachusetts General Hospital, Partners HealthCare supports a complete continuum of care including community and specialty hospitals, a managed care organization, a physician network, community health centers, home care and other health-related entities. Several of our hospitals are teaching affiliates of Harvard Medical School, and our system is a national leader in biomedical research.
We’re focused on a people-first culture for our system’s patients and our professional family. That’s why we provide our employees with more ways to achieve their potential. Partners HealthCare is committed to aligning our employees’ personal aspirations with projects that match their capabilities and creating a culture that empowers our managers to become trusted mentors. We support each member of our team to own their personal development—and we recognize success at every step.
Our employees use the Partners HealthCare values to govern decisions, actions and behaviors. These values guide how we get our work done: Patients, Affordability, Accountability & Service Commitment, Decisiveness, Innovation & Thoughtful Risk; and how we treat each other: Diversity & Inclusion, Integrity & Respect, Learning, Continuous Improvement & Personal Growth, Teamwork & Collaboration.
Located at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) in Boston, this position will remotely support Nantucket Cottage Hospital, a subsidiary of MGH and Partners HealthCare. Position will work closely with hospital management, other NCH finance staff, and corporate finance staff to provide in-depth analysis of operating budget, operating performance, ad hoc analytics, special projects and strategic initiatives. In time, this role is intended to take on leadership of the Financial Clearance department to ensure an appropriate link between Budget and Revenue Operations.
Nature and Scope
- Develops and maintains effective working relationships with all levels of NCH leadership. Provides direct support to senior management.
- Understands and has the ability to translate business and operational decisions into financial processes and plans. Can translate data into actionable information.
- Responsible for monthly close process and annual operating budget process. Will require coordination/communication with department managers and central accounting staff. Plays an important role in process improvement projects.
- Willingness to operate at a highly detailed level—independently running reports, budgeting at a GL level, investigating financial variances, making journal entries, etc. Due to size of NCH Finance staff, this is a true “working manager” role.
- Directly supports departments in understanding financial transactions and financial statements.
- Manage one Financial Analyst. Role intended to expand to include management of 6-8 person Financial Clearance team.
- Participates on teams/committees within NCH tasked with enhancing revenues or reducing costs in operational areas.
- Works with Partners Revenue teams to ensure local compliance and optimization of processes and systems.
- Represents NCH on Partners-wide Revenue and Budget meetings.
- Interfaces with local and system compliance teams. Communicates and implements finance related policy to ensure adequate fiscal controls.
- Manage various high-visibility projects on behalf of the Finance Department and/or Hospital.
- Business planning work to assess ROI on various opportunities (capital investment, development of new service lines, etc.) which requires interfacing with reimbursement, revenue operations, and various other experts throughout PHS.
- Oversee management of NCH capital budget; ensure appropriate application of relevant policy.
- Prepares and presents financial analytics to NCH staff, physicians, leadership and Board Committees.
- Engages with managers throughout the organization to support financial review specific to their areas while providing a high level of customer service.
- Analyzes proposed operating budget requests, including new program requests; investigates drivers of growth on a variety of metrics; ensures compliance with established hospital budget targets.
- Supports training of managers unfamiliar with financial reporting systems.
- Responsible for regular communication to hospital leadership regarding important deadlines, financial planning initiatives, and performance updates.
- Develop service line reporting methodology leveraging data from multiple sources; goal to develop semi-regular service line P&Ls.
- Evaluates and analyzes effect of patient volume on assigned departments’ operations, expenses and revenue.
- Monitor and report on monthly cash flows; coordinate with MGH and PHS personnel on operating, sundry and capital cash.
- Develop, analyze and prepare variety of regular and ad hoc reports; project work driven by management inquiries and initiatives.
- Compile financial schedules and participate in special projects as requested.
- For areas of responsibility, uses PeopleSoft, Vision, Hyperion Planning, SmartView, Hyperion Financial Reporting, Plan It! and other systems to monitor and evaluate financial and operating performance.
- Identifies drivers of monthly variances.
- Designs and maintains accurate records and databases.
- Assists with other management and budget assignments as required.
- Maintains confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Bachelors degree with 5+ years of finance/budget related experience
- Masters degree in Finance, with health care focus, or in Public Health preferred
- Prior health care experience/education preferred
- Strong Hyperion Financial Reporting and SmartView skills preferred
- Advanced computer skills, particularly Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Excellent analytical skills and attention to detail
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Self-motivated, self starter
- Must be extremely well organized and have solid time management skills in order to handle multiple tasks simultaneously under sometimes tight deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including strong customer service orientation and problem resolution
- Resourceful and able to take initiative; take-charge ability, including knowledge of resources to answer questions and find required data and information
- Problem solving skills and an interest in improving processes
- Ability to translate data into meaningful information
- Inquisitive and interested in hospital operations
- Project oversight experience
- Flexible, team player
- Exceptional research and organizational skills.
- Exceptional judgment and discretion on sensitive fiscal and confidential issues.
- Knowledge of basic budgetary or accounting principles and practices as applicable to health care
Partners HealthCare is an Equal Opportunity Employer & by embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, age, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, military service, genetic information, and/or other status protected under law.
MA-Boston-PHS - MGH
PHS - MGH 55 Fruit Street Boston 02114
Jan 15, 2019