Field Engineers are responsible for aerial and underground data collection while validating a viable cost-effective path for engineering. Decision making will take into consideration value engineering and the impact on construction, installation and future maintenance. Must be able to demonstrate comprehensive ability to support engineering. Paid training provided as needed. This is a temp to hire position that carries an initial 90-day probationary period.
Candidate must be located in the San Mateo, CA area.
Job Responsibilities (Including, but not limited to):
- Collect relevant Pole Information and accurately document existing measurements and placement.
- Determine ideal locations for new above ground facilities and equipment.
- Conduct Underground/Buried Cable layout surveys.
- Develop accurate fiber/optical network construction surveys.
- Conduct new substructure site surveys and site walks.
- Determine existing and new locations for fiber optic cables.
- Inspect the work of construction contractors.
- Accurately depict new construction route opportunities.
- Assure that personal vehicle is maintained to company safety standards.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- High school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to accommodate travel in personal vehicle.
- Computer and printer with scanning capabilities.
- Ability to upload/download and edit documents in Project Management software.
- Intermediate skills in Microsoft Office programs and Adobe Acrobat. Working knowledge of Google Earth/Maps. Ability to quickly learn new systems and databases.
- Experience in either the engineering, construction, architecture, or telecommunications industries is a plus.
- Highly organized, self-starter, and detail oriented.
- Excellent verbal and written interpersonal communication skills.
- Superior time management.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to be flexible, take direction with ease, including changes to schedule and workflow priorities.
- Critical thinking skills; make assessments and provide solutions to problems.
- Ability to maintain professional tact in a fast-paced work environment.
- Ability to follow direction in maintaining all Field Safety standards.
- Superior customer service skills.
- GRIT (guts, reliability, innovation and teamwork).
Desired Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics preferred.
- Experience in either the engineering, construction, architecture or telecommunications industries is a plus.
- Knowledge and experience with telecommunications engineering standards.
- Capable of identifying issues in the field that would have a potential to impact network design.
- Able to collect necessary data from the field for determining a design including all necessary OSP features.
- Fiber networking and cable routing.
- GO 95, GO 128 and NESC requirements.
- Experience with interpreting cable or substructure designs.
- Knowledge and experience with telecommunications construction techniques
- Able to identify and suggest all types of construction methods within ROW, identify assumed public ROW, visually identify existing utilities.
- Fiber construction operations/management/provisioning experience.
- Basic Knowledge of Make-Ready Construction
- Able to identify potential cable moves and, guying and anchoring requirements to make room for new cable attachments.
- Able to effectively account for all information that is required to attach to a pole and complete all necessary measurements and photos.
- Experience in estimating existing utility locations.
- Daily travel to job site(s) in personal vehicle required – mileage reimbursement.
- Ability to stand, stoop, squat and bend for extended periods of time.
- Ability to walk for extended periods of time and/or long distances.
- Tolerant to extreme elements (heat, sun, wind, rain, snow, etc.).
- Good vision and depth perception (corrective lenses OK).
- Ability to sit and drive for extended periods of time.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $20.00 - $25.00 per hour
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Referral program
- Vision insurance
Ability to Commute/Relocate:
- Driver's License (Required)
- Bi weekly or Twice monthly
- Only full-time employees eligible