Preconstruction Manager

Elite Flooring - Norcross, GA3.5

30+ days ago

Elite Flooring, Inc. is a leading floor covering contractor based in Atlanta, GA with regional offices in North Carolina, South Carolina,Tennessee, and Florida. The company sells and services, New Home Builders, Commercial & General Contractors, Multi-Family new construction and existing apartment communities among other account types with a track record of proven success since 1996.

Synopsis:

This is an immediate opening for a full time position for recent graduates or students graduating this semester. Salary commensurate with experience. The project engineer will work directly for a project manager in the new construction division. They will focus on new construction and interior build-out for multi-family housing and commercial projects. The primary function of this position will be to assist the Project Manager in the preparation of bids. The secondary function will be to help with certain aspects of the installation and project management process. The person in this role can expect to be in the office approximately 90% of the time. The other 10% of time will be spent on jobsites, occasionally out of town.

A thorough understanding of flooring types or processes is not necessary. Training on all types of materials and installations will be provided. A thorough understanding of the construction process is necessary. The ability to read construction documents, familiarity with job sites, and a grasp of the contract, submittal, change order, scheduling, and close-out processes is required. Experience working for a general contractor or sub contractor is advantageous.

Estimating:

The bidding process consists of gaining a complete understanding of the project conditions and materials in order to compile a comprehensive proposal. Once an understanding of the job is established and material prices have been collected, the proposal must be prepared. Proposals consist of multiple, linked, spreadsheets and a thorough, written description of the flooring component of the job. Material take-offs will not be a primary function of this position, however, adjustments often must be made due to drawing changes and occasionally entire jobs will need to be taken off. Good relationships must be established with vendors and installers in order to get favorable pricing and terms.

Installation:

Managing a project once a contract has been executed is a combination of organization, paperwork, and onsite supervision. The process begins with confirming quantities, ordering materials, creating work order templates, establishing schedules, and preparing submittal information. During installation, supervision consists of attending meetings, preparing pay applications, adjusting schedules, pricing and adjusting for change orders, coordination with the general contractor and other subcontractors, and ensuring a prompt and quality installation. After the installation is finished, the close out paperwork, extra materials, and billing process must be completed.

Requirements:

  • Bachelor’s degree with a building construction focus.
  • Desire to seek out the most efficient and effective way to solve problems and complete tasks.
  • Ability to think quickly, make decisions, and direct on-site personnel
  • High quality standards and confidence to demand quality from others
  • Ability to read and interpret project drawings and specifications.
  • Ability to perform detailed and accurate material take-offs.
  • Good typing and Microsoft Excel and Word skills.
  • Strong ability to use and create linked spreadsheets using Microsoft Excel
  • Strong communication skills and willingness to call general contractors to discuss the proposals and vendors to discuss materials and pricing.
  • Excellent Organization and time management skills are essential.
  • Ability to read bar chart schedules.
  • Ability to learn the company’s accounting/inventory software.

Job Type: Full-time