## ALASKA AIRLINES' STORY
Alaska Airlines is one of the most respected names in aviation and flies throughout its namesake state and the Lower 48, as well as to Hawaii, Canada, Mexico and Costa Rica. Our roots date to 1932 and are symbolized by the Alaska Native painted on the tails of our aircraft. Guided by what we call the "Alaska Spirit", we pride ourselves on providing a lifeline to remote communities while delivering renowned service to everyone we fly. This commitment has brought us national and international recognition. We've been honored with a variety of awards by readers of Travel + Leisure, Conde Nast Traveler, USA Today and others. Alaska, with Virgin America, is the premier airline for people on the West Coast, and together with its sister carrier Horizon Air, flies to more than 115 destinations. The two airlines are subsidiaries of Alaska Air Group Inc. (NYSE: ALK) with annual revenues exceeding $7 billion.
## POSITION INFORMATION
The e-commerce department of Alaska Airlines is seeking an experienced Senior Site Reliability Engineer (Sr. SRE) to be responsible for the reliability, resiliency, and performance of the technology systems supporting our multibillion, multi-channel e-commerce business. This role is part of a functional team that owns Tier 2 and Tier 3 support for all e-commerce systems including alaskaair.com, customer mobile apps, loyalty systems, and our back-end tier of large scale, distributed and highly available services. The position is highly technical and balances between engineering operations and software development to enable rapid product development.
The ideal candidate will have hands on coding and scripting experience in the areas of infrastructure automation and instrumenting health monitors. They can build creative engineering solutions to operation problems and understand the big picture of how systems relate to each other. They will eliminate manual work through automation and partner with our Development teams to ensure that services are designed and delivered to be mission critical with a focus on security, resiliency, scale, and performance. They are familiar with a DevOps culture and work to spread a DevOps culture to their own team and others. They understand agile development values and practices including small, iterative, frequent, and continuous delivery of value.
Scope & Complexity
Under limited supervision this individual contributor supports and develops tools and processes that ensure resiliency, performance of the systems and enhance proactive monitoring, automation, and overall system health of Alaska Airlines? e-commerce business.
- Guide and train agile engineering teams to optimize service quality and ensure adoption of reliability best practices.
- Introduce and evaluate cutting edge software tools that pushes our core tech stack forward and improves the reliability and stability of our site.
- Leads the team to collect metrics, crunch data, build dashboards and improve service monitoring to detect problems before customer is impacted.
- Drives a continuous improvement mindset with the team, embracing a DevOps culture by automating everything possible and constantly finding ways to make our systems more reliable.
- Understands, experiments, and adopts emerging industry practices in the systems operations space.
- Practices, coaches, and evangelizes reliability best practices.
- Works with product teams to establish SLAs around performance that can then be integrated into our monitoring/alerting solutions.
- Automates existing manual processes and provides more self-service functionality to Tier 2 team.
- Develops engineering solutions to repetitive failures and other problems that adversely affect production systems.
- Practices agile principles to organize and deliver work.
- Brings modern delivery practices to legacy systems.
- Enables software development teams to continuously push their code to production.
- Helps build container based software delivery to production.
Job-Specific Experience, Education & Skills
- A minimum of 5 years of hands-on software development experience.
- A minimum of 3 years of Reliability Engineering experience.
- Experience with Git.
- Proficiency in infrastructure scripting and configuration automation tools (Chef/Bamboo/Jenkins).
- Experience in Windows Azure /AWS.
- Expertise in monitoring tools (AppDynamics/App Insights/Sumo Logic/etc.).
- Expertise in incident and problem management including timely problem identification, successful resolution, and root-cause analysis.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills to communicate technology concepts and practices.
- Experience working in a high-scale, high-traffic, 24/7 environment.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- Minimum age of 18.
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
- A Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Science degree, with a focus in computer science or similar technical field, is strongly preferred.
- Experience with test-driven development (TDD), unit testing, pair/mob programming and other Extreme Programming (XP) techniques.
- Expertise with modern design principles, such as the development and utilization of cloud APIs, single-page web apps, hybrid mobile development, and SOLID principles.
- Experience in Agile/Lean development methodologies.
- Experience in the airline and/or hospitality industry.
Job-Specific Leadership Expectations
Embody our values to own safety, do the right thing, be kind-hearted, deliver performance, and be remarkable.
## THE LOCATION
The location for this position is in Seattle, Washington
## OUR CULTURE - ALASKA AIRLINES
For eligible employees, our company offers a unique total rewards package that few companies can match, including insurance coverage for medical, dental and vision care, 401(k) retirement savings plans, monthly and annual incentive bonus plans, time off and a generous employee travel program. Our values reflect who we are at work and in our communities: Own Safety, Do the Right Thing, Be Kind-Hearted, Deliver Performance, and Be Remarkable. Alaska Airlines also fosters a diverse and inclusive culture and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
## POSTING INFORMATION
Please apply on or before:
A few helpful tips when applying -
~Before applying, we recommend that you clear your browsing history including your temporary internet files and disable pop-up blockers. You can accomplish this by going to the Tools tab.
~Gather your paperwork, including your work history, resume etc. - before you apply to the position.
~ If you would like to include a cover letter, add it as your first page to your resume. Your resume is part of your application and unique to each position you apply to.
~Once in the application, be sure to use the links provided to return to the previous page if needed. The back button is not compatible with our system.
Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air do not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. Employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants are also protected by law.
Alaska Airlines y Horizon Air no toleran discriminacion o acoso en base a raza, color, credo, religion, origen nacional, estatus migratorio de residencia o ciudadania, edad, sexo, orientacion sexual, identidad de genero o expresion, estado civil, discapacidad, estado veterano protegido, informacion genetica o cualquier otra base protegida por la legislacion aplicable. Empleados o aspirantes que indaguen, discutan o revelen su compensacion o la remuneracion de otros empleados o aspirantes tambien estan protegidos por ley.
- Job ID: * 32498
- Location: * Seattle, WA
- Full/Part Time: * Full-Time
- Regular/Temporary: * Regular