This position is located within the G4 at MATES, in Gatesville, TX. The purpose of this position is to troubleshoot, repair, maintain, inspect, and/or overhaul a variety of complex combat, tactical, commercial, and special purpose vehicles and equipment having complicated mechanical and non-mechanical systems with a variety of interconnected systems.
Surface Maintenance Mechanic
- Performs maintenance, troubleshooting, and major repair on heavy-duty mobile equipment, combat, tactical, and automotive vehicles.
- Troubleshoots equipment with a variety of the mechanically complex major systems and diagnoses difficult performance problems and the cause of mechanical failures by means of visual and auditory checks, uses test equipment such as engine analyzers, compression testers, voltmeters, ohmmeters, pressure gauges and computer diagnostic tools.
- Removes and disassembles engines and complex major assemblies, subassemblies, components, and fuel, hydraulic, and oil pressure systems.
- Independently performs repairs and maintenance functions with little or no supervision in remote locations.
- Conducts readiness and repair inspections on vehicles and associated equipment supported by the activity.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The full Position Description (PD) can be found at the following link:
WG-5801-11, NGD 1195000
- Job family (Series)
5801 Miscellaneous Transportation/Mobile Equipment Maintenance
Conditions of Employment
Appointment Factor(s): This is an Excepted Service position that requires active membership in a compatible military assignment in the Texas Army National Guard (TXARNG) and wear of the military uniform. Applicants must be a current member of the National Guard or be on Active Duty and be eligible and willing for immediate transfer to the TXARNG. If you are not sure you are eligible for TXARNG membership, please visit http://www.nationalguard.com/eligibility or contact a Texas Army National Guard recruiter.
Areas of Consideration: Army Members Nationwide. This includes:
- All current members of the Army National Guard,
- All current members of the Army Reserves, and
- All Army Active Duty members eligible for immediate membership in the TXARNG.
Incentives: Acceptance of a military Federal technician position may result in termination and / or repayment of military incentives. Please check your contract and contact your servicing Education Services (Incentives) office or the Recruiting/Retention office.
- May result in a Temporary Promotion for a current on board technician for one year at a time, not to exceed two years. Time limitation may be removed from the Temporary Promotion at a later date without further competition.
- Position is advertised as Indefinite for any new applicants to the agency and may be converted to Permanent at a later date without further competition.
- Compressed Work Schedule: Tuesday - Friday, 0630-1700 hours.
- The Texas National Guard is an Equal Opportunity employer.
- Veterans' preference is not applicable to this position.
- Direct deposit is mandatory.
Compatible Military Assignment (per UMR): Applicant must be Duty MOS assigned to a compatible position in accordance with statutes and National Guard Bureau regulations upon selection. If selected and not currently Duty MOS assigned, entrance on duty date will be delayed until assignment in the appropriate Duty MOS is verified.
ECMF: 12, 13, 14, 19, 25, 88, 91, 92, 94
Enlisted: NTE E9 (SGM)
To qualify at the WG-11 grade level your resume must include relevant experience with beginning and ending dates of employment/experience reflecting the following:
Specialized Experience Required
Must have at least 18 months experience or training in the following:
Experience or training diagnosing, repairing, overhauling, and modifying more complex vehicles, equipment, and more complicated systems. Experience which has provided a thorough knowledge of diagnostic equipment. Experience applying independent judgment in determining methods and techniques required to solve unusually complex maintenance and repair problems. Experienced in testing, inspecting, and evaluating the work performed on vehicles, equipment and systems.
There is not an educational requirement for this position.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application .
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine if you meet the qualifications listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application package, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this position. If you are found to be qualified, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
- Required Documents
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your resume should include the following for related positions held:
- Work schedule (ex. Full-time, part-time, intermittent)
- Hours worked per week
- To and From dates (ex. MM/YYYY - MM/YYYY)
- Duties performed
2. Other supporting documents: N/A
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits .
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.