Willoway Nurseries, is currently seeking a Horticulture-Trainee to join its Avon, Ohio team. Willoway is the largest nursery in Ohio, and while we are still proudly family owned and operated after 60+ years, we strive to be on the forefront of the industry with technology and growing techniques. We are currently recruiting individuals who love the outdoors and can positively contribute to the growth of the company.
The goal of this job is to provide training for an individual to build a career in our industry.
The training timeline will range anywhere from one to three years, depending on the individual’s progression and prior experience. The manager will meet with the individual weekly to discuss progress. After completion of the training the individual will be promoted to an Avon Farms Grower.
An overview of job duties:
- Monitoring our range of landscape perennials, shrubs, and trees
- Oversight of irrigation, fertilizer injection, and monitoring of plant nutrients required to ensure quality plants are being produced in a timely fashion
- Recording and organizing the necessary growing data in computer software systems
- Some physical and irrigation maintenance work will be necessary throughout the year
- Scouting crops to ensure quality standards are met
- Monitoring and controlling different greenhouse environments used to produce plants
- Participating in open book management, and the Great Game of Business
The position perks:
- Competitive wage of around $35k based hourly and by experience
- Increased wage with promotion after training is complete
- Training to begin a new career in the green industry
- Excellent health and life insurance with HSA option
- Employer matched 401k
- Participation in earned bonus tied to the Great Game of Business
- Open-book managed company
The individual needs:
- The ability to work outside in all weather conditions daily
- To maintain our drug-free workplace policy
- The flexibility to work half-day Saturdays seasonally
- To be reliable and motivated to learn – this is a trainee position to start a career
To learn more about our company, visit us at www.willowaynurseries.com or see our videos at www.whywilloway.com.
Job Type: Full-time
- Paid time off
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Healthcare spending or reimbursement accounts such as HSAs or FSAs
- Other types of insurance
- Retirement benefits or accounts
- Employee discounts