Non Exempt (Paid hourly)
If part time, hours to be worked weekly
If temporary please provide Start Date
And End Date
Position Summary Information
Purpose of this Position
at Carleton do a variety of cleaning and maintenance duties within their assigned buildings/areas to maintain a clean, safe work environment for the campus community. This is a full-time union staff position.
- Monday through Friday, 2:00 to 10:30 p.m.
- There may be occasional shift changes due to operational needs.
This position has a salary step progression, starting wage for a Custodial position is $16.80 and reaches $22.40 per hour at 100% of pay scale within 2 years if meeting performance expectations.
Essential Job Functions - Responsibilities
- Lock and unlock interior and exterior doors as directed.
- Vacuum and spot carpet and fabric furniture.
- Report items in need of repair or replacement.
- Guide and assist in training student employees.
- Maintain inventory and supply order.
- Acquire and maintain knowledge of job-related chemicals, proper labeling and environmental health and physical concerns.
- Maintain safety, cleanliness, proper storage and use of equipment, vehicles and personal safety equipment.
- Removal of trash and recycling from assigned areas.
- Dusting, wash windows, replace light bulbs and clean light fixtures.
- Clean writing boards and maintain supply of chalk and erasers.
- Clean and service lavatories, locker rooms, shower rooms, lounges and kitchenettes.
- Maintain and/or renew hard floor surfaces.
- Perform laundry related duties as directed.
- Distribution and collection of linens, rollaway beds and bed making duties, when necessary.
- Assist with student storage.
- Assist with sweeping/shoveling snow from all steps, walks, porches and terraces as directed, servicing smoking urns and policing grounds.
- Move supplies, equipment, and furniture as directed and set room according to custodial work sheet and or customer specifications.
- Perform pest control duties.
- Assist in coverage of absent custodial personnel job responsibilities.
Supervision Received and Exercised:
- Any other duties assigned to you by your supervisor.
- Custodians report to Custodial Services Supervisor, then Custodial Services Manager. Depending on custodial position, custodians may give work direction to student custodial staff.
- Must have demonstrated own ability with past position to work independently and in harmony within your working group.
- Must be neat in appearance and in the performance of assigned duties.
- Must maintain a level of cleanliness as required by departmental and building standards.
- Requires the physical ability to stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, reach, balance, stand, walk, push, pull, lift, finger, grasp, and the ability to push/pull, lift/carry up to 55lbs occasionally and 30 lbs frequently.
- Must be capable of following oral and written directions and/or instructions (labels). Requires mental ability to cope with diversity, read, comprehend, follow, and provide written instructions, and to receive, comprehend, follow, and provide oral instructions.
- Demonstrate general computer knowledge (email/calendar)
- Must pass a background check.
- Must pass pre-employment physical.
- For positions requiring the ability to drive campus vehicles, you must be deemed insurable by the college.
Special Instructions to Applicants
As per the Carleton Upward Mobility Program, priority consideration for internal applications will be given to those who apply by the close of business Thursday, August 23, 2018.
Pending the review of those internal applications, external applications will be considered at that time. External applications are welcome at any time.
Carleton College is a AA/EEO employer. We are committed to developing our staff to better reflect the diversity of our student body and American society. Members of underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.