This Network Engineer performs technical duties involved in designing, implementing and maintaining communications networks under occasional guidance. The Network Engineer implements small projects or components of large projects. Ability to solve medium to complex problems.
Participates in network design and implementation.
Performs network health and capacity monitoring.
Troubleshoots and resolves complex network problems.
The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
NETWORK DESIGN (INTERMEDIATE):
- Demonstrates significant knowledge of network architecture and design. Capable of successfully delivering major portions of networks without requiring support and instruction for others. Understands availability issues, major standards and protocols in depth. Capable of advising developers on networking implications of various design strategies. Understands all aspects of key inter-networking issues. Works with vendors such as Cisco and Juniper on an ongoing basis to ensure that requirements are engineered and delivered satisfactorily.
NETWORK ANALYSIS (INTERMEDIATE):
- Analyzes and reports on methods of optimization, evaluation of network traffic, statistics and utilization, as well as performance requirements. Demonstrates the ability to improve the efficiency of networks. Takes a structured approach in analysis and troubleshooting of enterprise networks resulting in a reliable and maintainable network and server infrastructure. Provides problem diagnosis and resolution to users on all platforms. Monitors network management hardware for performance issues and any device, process, or communications failures. Performs in-depth troubleshooting, fault isolation, and network analysis for optimum utilization and data integrity. Assists with network design and implementation strategies to support the needs of the company.
OPERATIONS NETWORK ARCHITECTURE (NOVICE):
- Has detailed knowledge of the architecture of the networks which support an entire business area, including business systems, servers, platforms and data bases. Demonstrates knowledge of how the business area's applications and support systems are networked, how various components and parts interact, as well as what protocols and interfaces are used for communications and cooperation between modules and components. Understands how the business area's networks fit into the Company's global architecture.
Executes job responsibilities with the understanding of how output would affect and impact other areas related to own job area/team with occasional guidance.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work:
Analyzes moderately complex problems using technical experience and judgment.
Breadth of Knowledge:
Has expanded knowledge gained through experience within a professional area.
Provides informal guidance and support to team members.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (P2):
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (P2):
- Develops Self and Others: Invests time, energy and enthusiasm in developing self/others to help improve performance and gain knowledge in new areas.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Maintains regular contact with key colleagues and stakeholders using formal and informal opportunities to expand and strengthen relationships.
- Communicates Effectively: Recognizes group interactions and modifies one's own communication style to suit different situations and audiences.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (P2):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Seeks to understand current and future needs of relevant stakeholders and customizes services to better address them.
- Solves Complex Problems: Approaches problems from different angles; Identifies new possibilities to interpret opportunities and develop concrete solutions.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Provides ongoing support and coaching in a constructive manner to increase employees' effectiveness.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (P2):
- Performs Excellent Work: Engages regularly in formal and informal dialogue about quality; directly addresses quality issues promptly.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Applies various learning experiences by looking beyond symptoms to uncover underlying causes of problems and identifies ways to resolve them.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Understands all aspects of providing a safe environment and performs routine safety checks to prevent safety hazards from occurring.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (P2):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Demonstrates a sense of ownership, focusing on and driving critical issues to closure.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Applies understanding of the departmental work to effectively manage resources for a department/area.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Demonstrates strong understanding of the information or data to identify and elevate opportunities.
About the Department:
- Generates New Ideas: Proactively identifies new ideas/opportunities from multiple sources or methods to improve processes beyond conventional approaches.
- Applies Technology: Demonstrates an enthusiasm for learning new technologies, tools, and procedures to address short-term challenges.
- Adapts to Change: Views difficult situations and/or problems as opportunities for improvement; actively embraces change instead of emphasizing negative elements.
VUMC IT provides hardware, software and service solutions for the entire Medical Center. With over 40,000 workstations in the Medical Center, our teams can assist not only with hardware support, but also software and application support and services to enhance security and protection of your information. Click this link below to learn more:
Discover Vanderbilt University Medical Center:
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity — of culture, thinking, learning and leading — is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt’s mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
VUMC Recent Accomplishments
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
- US News & World Report: #1 Adult Hospital in Tennessee and metropolitan Nashville, named to the Best Hospitals Honor Roll of the top 20 adult hospitals, 10 nationally ranked adult specialty programs, with 3 specialties rated in the top 10 nationally, Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt named as one of the Best Children’s Hospital in the nation, with 10 out of 10 pediatric specialties nationally ranked.
- Healthcare’s Most Wired: Among the nation’s 100 “most-wired” hospitals and health systems for its efforts in innovative medical technology.
- Becker’s Hospital Review: named as one of the “100 Great Hospitals in America”, in the roster of 100 Hospitals and Health Systems with Great Oncology Programs and to its list of the 100 Hospitals with Great Heart Programs.
- The Leapfrog Group: One of only 10 children’s hospitals in the to be named at Leapfrog Top Hospital.
- American Association for the Advancement of Science: The School of Medicine has 112 elected fellows
- Magnet Recognition Program: Received our third consecutive Magnet designations.
- National Academy of Medicine: 22 members, elected by their peers in recognition of outstanding achievement
- Human Rights Campaign Healthcare Equality Index: 6th year in a row that Vanderbilt University Medical Center was a Leader in LGBTQ Healthcare Equality.
Bachelor's Degree (or equivalent experience)
2 years relevant experience
Physical Requirements/Strengths needed & Physical Demands:
to verify these you can visit our job description website: https://app.jdms.io/?sso=vumc. We do not use links to physical demands