Job Title: Early Childhood Classroom Assistant
Revision Date: 10/11/2022
Supervisor Title: Early Childhood Classroom Manager
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
FLSA Status: Non-exempt Hourly, Full-Time, Benefits Eligible, 32-40 Hours Per Week At-Will Position
Rate: $19.00 to $24.00
Beyond Blindness is a California Nonprofit Corporation founded in 1962 whose mission is to empower children with visual impairments and other disabilities to achieve their fullest potential. We envision a world where all children, no matter their abilities, are equipped to live full and rewarding lives. We value People First, championing and building upon the inherent strengths and value within each child, as well as Family, Connection, Impact, Inclusion, Stewardship, and
Beyond Blindness is the only organization of its kind in Southern California that provides all of the support and services — outside of medical care — that children with visual impairments and other disabilities need to develop to their highest potential and live fulfilling lives. Beyond Blindness is a one-stop support resource for these children, and their families, and provides services in clients’ homes, at its location in Santa Ana, and in schools throughout Orange County.
The Assistant Teacher position will serve as an assistant to the teacher in the classrooms of visually impaired and developmentally delayed children from 6 months to 5 years old.
This job description is intended as a guide to the general job responsibilities.
- Assists teacher with instructional and classroom support.
- Has ability to establish and maintain a courteous and cooperative working relationship with children, families, therapists and coworkers.
- Provides client services.
- Interacts with children in accordance with developmentally appropriate practices established by the Center and evaluators including behavioral practice with ABA.
- Assists in program, daycare duties as requested.
- Maintains classroom environmental standards.
- Files appropriately as per classroom/student needs.
- Classroom/lesson preparation as requested by teacher.
High School Graduate
6+ Early Childhood Education College Units in the areas of for example:
- Child Growth & Development
- Family, Child, and Community
- Program Planning & Curriculum
- Infant/Toddler Specific Elective
Experience working with special needs population, preferably with young children, preferred.
- Belief in mission.
- Conduct self in professional manner always.
- Willing to work evenings and weekends whenever needed.
- Respectful to supervisors and coworkers
- Regards all client and employee information as highly confidential.
- Willingness to answer phones and conduct other administrative and all other duties as needed when asked.
Licensing & Accreditation Requirements:
All employees working for Beyond Blindness are required to always meet the following:
1. LiveScan Fingerprint clearance and background check - DOJ/FBI/Child Abuse Index (one time or upon re- hire)
2. Health Screening (one time or upon re-hire)
3. Proof of immunity to Measles or MMR Vaccination Record (one time)
4. Flu Vaccine within one year (and each year thereafter)
5. TDAP Vaccine within last 10 years (and every 10 years thereafter)
6. Current COVID-19 Vaccine (fully vaccinated)
7. Clear TB test or Chest X-ray within last 4 years (and every 4 years thereafter)
8. Current up-to-date Credential, License, Certification or Units for employment
Beyond Blindness offers competitive salary and benefits programs including medical, dental, vision and life and disability insurance to employees as well as generous vacation, holiday, and sick time policies. We also have a variety of additional continuing education, employee referral and childcare programs for eligible employees. We also offer a diverse community of employees and clients with an emphasis on a culture of engagement, positivity, and support.
People First * Family * Connection * Impact * Inclusion * Stewardship * Optimism
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $19.00 - $24.00 per hour
- Dental insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Santa Ana, CA 92705: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Do you have 6+ Early Childhood Education College Units?
Work Location: In person