Position Title: Senior Accountant - Home and Creative Home Groups
Position Group: Corporate (610 and 710)
Position Department: Group Accounting & Finance (1220)
Supervisor: Corporate Controller
Group Responsibility: Corporate
EEO-1 Job Title: Professionals
EEO-1 Job Title / SOC: Accountants and Auditors
EEO-1 Six level SOC Job Code: 13-2011
EEO-1: Four Digit Census Code: 0800
WC Class: Clerical (8810)
FLSA Status: Full Time Exempt
Physical Requirements / ADA Compliance
This is primarily a sedentary position which is performed at a desk or workspace using a computer. The employee may, at their option, use a standing workstation.
Employee may need to bend, lift, open and move product and office items, such as files and banker’s boxes varying in weight from 1 to 25 pounds depending on need.
The essential functions of the position must be performed with or without reasonable accommodations as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Hours and Location of Working Environment
This position will be based in the Des Moines, Iowa AIM office in the United States. The employee will generally execute the functions and responsibilities of the position in the AIM office. The employee and the supervisor of this position may negotiate some remote working hours each week by mutual agreement.
Since this position is FLSA classified as an exempt position, the employee is expected to complete the essential functions and responsibilities of the position in an accurate and timely manner each business day, week and month.
The employee is generally expected to be available and working during the week each business day. The employee’s specific working hours daily and weekly will be mutually agreed upon by the employee and the supervisor of this position.
There is limited and occasional business travel required with this position throughout the year to support the activities of the groups and/or to attend meetings or professional development training endeavors.
Professional Skills and Abilities
A professional demeanor is a requirement of all employees at Active Interest Media. The following qualifications are fundamental to this position:
- Must exhibit and exercise exceptional judgment, professional accountability, and the ability to work through challenging tasks effectively
- Possess a high degree of personal integrity and strong professional ethics
- Work graciously under pressure in a courteous and cooperative manner
- The ability to take responsibility and “ownership” of the work completed and to “own up” to any errors, omissions or issues directly related to the work produced
- The ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities
- Strong customer service skills and a professional demeanor, interacting effectively with internal and external parties at all levels
- Very strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong business acumen with the ability to partner with group management while keeping accounting & finance directives top of mind
- Comfort with technology and proven computer skills
- A mature, results focused orientation to job responsibilities, deadlines and results
- Maintain extreme attention to detail while complying with strict deadlines
- Exhibit excellent time management skills
- Be willing to embrace new ideas and ways of working
- Demonstrate a strong team-player orientation and be willing to support others
- Exhibit a high level of self-motivation and as a self-starter being able to take initiative on projects
- Enthusiasm for subject matter of AIM particularly in the Home and Creative Home groups
- Collaborate and communicate effectively with the Group Business Manager, the Group Collector and the department’s entire staff
- Collaborate and effectively communicate with all the individuals in the group ensuring they are informed and familiar with the processes, policies and procedures of the Company.
Professional Qualifications and Desired Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance (CPA or MBA is a plus)
- Minimum of 5 years of work experience in performing the essential functions and responsibilities of the position in a medium to large sized company (100 million +) with a large volume of transactions. Publishing, media or event management industry experience preferred.
- Understanding of and experience in accounting for all transactions in every accounting cycle (Sales order, invoicing, AR, credit & collection, cash receipts, purchase requisitions, purchase orders, inventory, fixed assets, AP, cash disbursements, accruals & prepaids, payroll, and general ledger)
- In depth understanding of month end closing processes and the preparation of financial statements including all balance sheet reconciliations. Assisting in the comparison, analysis and reporting on variances between actual results and budgeted/LE amounts
- Experience working with budgets and latest estimate forecasts for both revenue and expenses
- In depth knowledge of GAAP and revenue recognition rules
- Medium to High level computer skills using Microsoft applications (Word and Power Point) and advanced proficiency in Excel including MS Excel table functionality, MS query and SQL query skills
- Preference given to individuals who have worked with the Oracle Fusion Cloud ERP and Oracle ECPBS
- Experience in working with a multi-module Tier I or II ERP system such as Oracle, SAP, Sage, JD Edwards or Net Suite
- Preference given to individuals who have worked with Salesforce or a comparable CRM technology
Primary Objective of Position
The Group Senior Accountant is an integral part of the accounting team and assist the group and the Group Business Manager in executing all the accounting, budgeting and financial functions for the groups assigned to the position. This position works in tandem with the Group Business Manager and the Group Collector to serve the internal and external parties associated with and transacting within their groups.
This position is a supporting resource to facilitate the business and financial needs of all the business units and the associated employees, customers and suppliers. This is primarily accomplished by working closely with the Group Business Manager.
This position is responsible for the assisting the Group Business Manager to ensure the complete and accurate recording of all accounting transactions of the group in a timely manner in compliance with GAAP employing a clean cutoff of transactions at month end.
This position assists with the generation of group’s monthly financial statements, prepares most of the balance sheet reconciliations monthly, reviews revenue & expense classifications, and assist in analyzing variances between actual results and budget/LE amounts.
This position assists in the annual budget process and reforecasts for their assigned groups.
This position is responsible for the continuous and smooth process flow for all Oracle purchase requisitions, Oracle generated customer invoices, Salesforce generated customer invoices, T&E requisitions ensuring correct GL coding, treatment of revenue recognition and/or prepaid expenses.
This position is responsible for the successful matching of invoices to received purchase orders in Oracle and completing the necessary steps in the ERP to move the PO/receipt/invoice to a ready to pay status.
This position is responsible for ensuring the automated processes in the Salesforce corporate revenue invoice que are operating seamlessly and electronically delivering invoices to corporate customers. This role also updates the customer contact information as needed and enters collection notes if known.
This position is responsible for the recording in Oracle of all consumer revenue transactions specifically associated with the groups including the monthly bank reconciliation. The transactions may need to be recorded in a detailed or summary manner each day. The responsibility for the processing and approval of credit card disputes and refunds requests also falls under this position.
This role is also one which must engage in educating the team members in the group of the proper procedures and applicable policies of AIM to ensure corporate revenue sales orders, AR invoices, purchase requisitions, purchase order receipts, accounts payable uploads and T&E requisitions are completed in accordance with AIM standards in the proper form and correct accounting period.
Specific Professional Job Responsibilities
Job Duties Oracle ERP
- Assist the Group Business Manager in ensuring the complete and accurate recording of all accounting transactions related to the groups in a timely manner in compliance with GAAP employing a clean cutoff of transactions at month end.
- Assistance with the generation of group’s monthly financial statements including preparing and completing most all the group’s balance sheet reconciliations monthly, revenue & expense classifications are correct, and the analysis of all variances between actual results and budget/LE amounts are documented. Reconciliations do not include the main Cash accounts, Accounts Receivable Trade, Accounts Payable Trade or the Fixed Asset accounts since those are reconciled corporately.
- Responsibility for the preparation of the monthly group bank account reconciliations which contain all group specific consumer revenue deposits. The transactions may need to be recorded in a detailed or summary manner each day. Coordinate with the corporate staff account to ensure all cross-group consumer revenue sources have been recorded on a timely and accurate (recognized or deferred) manner in the group’s financial statements. The responsibility for the processing and approval of consumer revenue credit card disputes and refunds that are group specific requests also falls under this position
- Review the GL coding and classification of expense items on the group’s purchase order prior to the posting to accounts payable to ensure correctness and accuracy. Make any adjustments as needed as well as incorporating prepaid GL coding, line items requiring a project code or items which will be capitalized into the purchase orders. This can be done either by que within Oracle or by responding directly to Oracle generated emails on a consistent and regular basis.
- Work with the corporate payables personnel to add or adjust the expense item, expense category and approval hierarchy in Oracle for the group.
- Work with the Corporate Staff Accountant to add, inactive or adjust project codes in Oracle for categories of expenses / capitalizable items the company needs tracking on with these project codes.
- Diligently work with the group employees to ensure that the appropriate purchase order requestors within the group have entered all expense items purchase requisitions in Oracle for their business unit and department in the proper period and that they have been “received” in the appropriate period. Communicate and educate the personnel in the group to ensure accuracy and compliance.
- Execute the successful matching of supplier invoices to received purchase orders in Oracle and completing the necessary steps in the ERP to move the PO/receipt/invoice to a ready to pay status. Ensure GAAP compliance for prepaid or deferred treatment for any submitting and matched payables prior to posting.
- Work with corporate payables accountant to ensure group Supplier additions and adjustments are made in an expedient manner. Communicate with group personnel on the process for supplier set up and changes. Monitor the AP emailmailbox for all relevant submissions for the group.
- Ensure supplier invoices are being generated by personnel who are not AIM employees (suppliers must generate their own invoices and submit them to the company per the AP email or the vendor portal)
- Review the relevant reports at month end for open purchase requisitions and unreceived purchase orders and address directly with group personnel on any actions to be taken to ensure a clean cut-off of expenses at month end.
- Work with group personnel and suppliers to notify them of received purchase orders which have no supplier provided invoices.
- Diligently work with the group personnel to ensure that the appropriate T&E requisitions for the group have entered in Oracle, including Capital One T&E requisitions, in a timely manner and that they have been thorough the audit process and are posted to AP in the appropriate period. Ensure that any relevant project codes, prepaid treatment or line items being capitalized are recorded correctly. Communicate and educate the personnel in the group to ensure accuracy and compliance for both T&E direct payments to employees and Capital One T&E expenses.
- Review the relevant reports at month end for open T&E requisitions and address directly with group personnel on any actions to be taken to ensure a clean cut-off of expenses at month end.
- Upload the group Capital One monthly expenses into Oracle as prepared by the Group Business Manager.
- Upload as accounts payable batches any approved expense items which do not require that the PO requisition process be followed (royalties, rents, honorariums for example)
- Worked with corporate staff accountant to transfer assets not yet placed into service into the fixed asset module in Oracle
- Assist with inventory adjustments, annual lower of cost or market valuation analyses and the year-end physical inventory count.
- Assist with annual impairment testing of capitalized developed inventory assets (online education) and internally developed fixed assets to ensure compliance with GAAP.
- Prepare all relevant personal property tax, business license and other non-sales tax related government business tax and licenses filing specifically related to the assigned groups.
- Work directly with the group staff accountant assigned to prepare AIM state and local sales tax returns. One group staff accountant or a corporate accounting employee will be assigned the task of preparing the various sales and use tax returns
- Continuously educate and train employees in the group to ensure timely and accurate compliance with AIM’s processes and policies for purchase order requisitions, T&E requisitions paid directly to an employee, and T&E requisitions paid to Capital One.
- Set up of tangible Inventory items in Oracle
Job Duties Oracle ECPBS (Budgeting)
- Assist the Group Business Manager in gathering information and preparing the annual budget (and LE) process for the assigned groups Revenue will be forecast by salesperson, product, and recognition month. Expenses will be budgeted in accordance with the GAAP accounting treatment of the expenditure matching revenue recognized with expenses incurred.
- Assist the Group Business Manager in identifying key trends, revenue shortfalls and expense overages that may pose a risk to the group’s forecast
Job Duties Salesforce
- Ensure the successful execution of the automated process for all corporate revenue Salesforce invoices. At month end after AR module is closed, ensure a clean cutoff of revenue has been completed and the group specific Accounts Receivable Trade Agings agree to the general ledger.
- Prepare reconciliations and ensure accuracy of deferred corporate revenue accounts at month end. Make journal entries to move automated revenue recognized to and from deferred accounts and ensure those entries agree with the delivery status in the Salesforce production ques for the group at month end.
- As needed and known update the customer contact information and enter collection notes in Oracle if known.
- Review and then meet and discuss the group Accounts Receivable Trade Agings and any collection challenges with the Group Collector, Group Business Manager and the Assistant Controller – Credit and Cash on a consistent basis, no less than monthly.
- Backup for providing approval or disapproval for invoice payment schedules which provide corporate revenue customers terms or due dates which exceed the customer’s granted terms. Monitor the approval que on a consistent and regular basis.
- Assist Sales Managers and the Group Business Manager in managing limited quantity corporate revenue item sales to ensure quantity restrictions are met
- Act as liaison on behalf of the group to Salesforce Administrator to ensure consistent flow of corporate revenue contracts in Salesforce. Collaborate with sales team on issues and ensure new items requested by the sales team are added into Oracle in an expedient manner.
Job Duties Other
- Providing business, accounting, operational and analytical support to Group Business Manager evaluating the financial feasibility of existing and new business initiatives, and proactively engaging in controlling the group’s expenditures.
- Assist as needed with the business activities within the group (work at group events etc)
- Be an advocate and leader in promoting consistent adherence with the policies of the Company and a resource to the group personnel, suppliers and vendors in navigating processes in Oracle, Salesforce and Paylocity.
- Other duties as assigned
Job Type: Full-time
- accounting: 5 years (Required)