Our growth may just be your next opportunity. A closely held real estate firm and its affiliated companies with areas of focus including single family re-development, real estate development, investment real estate, lending and tax lien investing is seeking an detail oriented attorney as associate general counsel. These focus areas make up four closely held operating companies with shared staff and resources. This attorney should be armed with knowledge and expertise in real estate related law including tax lien foreclosures, title disputes, evictions & collections. This role not only requires excellent proactive attention to detail but also requires a desire to learn and grow with the company. The legal team is led by an experienced real estate attorney and this role would be accountable to and work hand-in-hand with this attorney. The firm is grounded in its values and strives each day to ensure our team members, affiliate contractors and customers are treated in accordance with those values.
ESTIMATED HOURS: 45-55 hours per week, as needed.
Responsibilities and Duties
- NE & IA bar license (will accept NE, with expectation that IA application is in process within 6 months of employment)
- Real estate law
- Real estate title
- Small business experience
- Great organizational skills and multi-tasking capabilities
- Willingness to work in a small office/family environment.
- Strong understanding of evictions, tax lien foreclosures
- Strong command of Microsoft Office Suite including Excel and Access.
- Willingness to embrace technology to promote efficient operations
- Initiate and Manage Tax Lien foreclosures & Tax Deed applications in Nebraska & Iowa
- Initiate and Manage Partition actions in Nebraska & Iowa as needed.
- Initiate and Manage eviction actions in Nebraska & Iowa
- Initiate Garnishment & Collection attempts in Nebraska
- Initiate and Manage Trust Deed Liq. & Foreclosure cases for notes owned by company.
- Serve as counsel for litigation brought against related entities arising from normal business operation (i.e. Trustee sale challenges, etc.) or litigation filed on behalf of related entities.
- Title Review and Title Opinions on properties purchased
- Lease/PA Review on Commercial Redevelopments
- Communicate with homeowners regarding tax lien foreclosures
- Draft and initiate payment plans & stipulations for tax liens
- Work with Property Management Department regarding eviction actions.
- Work with Accounting Department regarding collections.
- Endorse various collection efforts on behalf of the related entities
- Title cleanup/negotiations as needed
- Process Tax Deed processes to ensure that the database is updating correctly and calculating correctly. This would include lien right-offs and payment plans.
- Seller financing origination for lending operations including application, review, doc prep and origination.
- Develop policies and procedures as needed to ensure fair and consistent practices.
- Provide guidance in decision making on related strategic decisions for the related entities.
Job Type: Full-time
- real estate law and or title: 1 year (Preferred)