Volunteer/Program Specialist (AA/S Ex. I)
Date Posted:May 8, 2019 Closing Date:
Open until filled
CSUEU (Unit 2, 5, 7, 9)
Link to Apply Online:
Campus Employment Homepage:
Volunteer/Program Specialist (AA/S Ex. I)
Administrative Analyst/Specialist - Exempt I
The purpose of the Volunteer/Program Specialist position is to coordinate volunteer opportunities for Sacramento State students on and off campus, and to plan, implement and evaluate community service and civic engagement programs.
This will be accomplished through program and policy research, analysis, development, reporting, and evaluation; determining methods, policies, and procedures to achieve programmatic goals; leading committees, ensuring compliance with applicable regulations or requirements governing the programs; and serving as liaison to outside agencies and entities related to the program.
Exempt - This position is covered by health benefits, and is exempt, (not eligible for overtime compensation) according to the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Classification Salary Range
$3,897- $6,846 monthly
$3,897- $6,846 monthly
Is this position Hourly or Intermittent?
Regular or Temporary
Full Time or Part Time
Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm; other hours as required.
For more than 20 years, the CEC has facilitated campus and community partnerships that make a difference in the lives of our students and the Sacramento region by providing opportunities for Service Learning, community service and Academic Internships.
Entry to this classification requires general knowledge and skills in the applicable administrative and/or program field with a foundational knowledge of public administration principles, practices, and methods. This foundation would normally be obtained through a bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent training and administrative work experience involving study, analysis, and/or evaluation leading to the development or improvement of administrative policies, procedures, practices, or programs.
1. Experience creating systems to recruit, orient, train and evaluate volunteers;
2. Experience planning, implementing and evaluating programs
3. Experience working with community partners (non-profits, governmental, community, etc.) to assist them in recruiting volunteers
4. Experience developing and/or working with database systems to track volunteers and volunteer opportunities
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
5. Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
6. Ability to anticipate and analyze problems/situations and apply independent judgment and discretion to develop solutions and address issues proactively;
7. Ability to apply a variety of policies and procedures to develop conclusions and make recommendations;
8. Ability to provide lead work direction and train others;
9. Demonstrated ability to effectively compile, analyze, and evaluate data and the ability to prepare reports to assist with strategic planning;
10. Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to establish, develop, and maintain collaborative working relationships with diverse internal and external constituents;
11. Excellent communication (verbal/written) skills with ability to effectively present information and/or facilitate training for others;
12. Strong organizational skills with the ability to coordinate and oversee programs and activities;
13. Thorough knowledge of standard office software (e.g., Microsoft Office);
14. Knowledge of web design software (e.g., Adobe Dreamweaver, Illustrator, Photoshop)
Conditions of Employment:
- Ability to pass a background check.
15. Three years of experience in program, project development and coordination;
16. Strong experience in public relations, public speaking, and networking;
17. Direct experience in working in partnerships development and coordination with education, non-profit and government agencies;
18. Experience leading, training, and mentoring individuals and groups;
19. Experience and skills in conflict management and resolution;
20. Familiarity with risk management and liability issues;
21. Familiarity with University system software (e.g., CMS HR, Financial and Student Administration);
22. Familiarity with request for proposals, grant management and reporting;
23. Knowledge of issues relating to higher education;
24. Knowledge and/or experience with service learning and volunteerism management;
25. Working knowledge of community/civic engagement with an emphasis on higher education;
26. Working knowledge of applicable University infrastructures, policies and procedures;
27. Possess an awareness of and responsiveness to the interrelationships, motivations and goals of constituents served (e.g., faculty, students, community organizations, and administration)
Valid California Driver’s License and maintenance of safe driving record required.
Is Background Check Required
Background Check Disclaimer
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with California State University, Sacramento. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current California State University, Sacramento employees who apply for the position.
Candidate will be required to provide official transcripts of their highest degree earned and must furnish proof of eligibility to work in the U.S..
Eligible on-campus applicants in California State University Employees Union (CSUEU) Bargaining Units 2, 5, 7, and 9 will be given first consideration in the recruitment.
Conflict of Interest
The duties of this position include participation in decisions that may have a material financial benefit to the incumbent. Therefore, the selected candidate will be required to file Conflict of Interest Form 700: Statement of Economic Interest when they first occupy the position, an on an annual basis, complete ethics training within 6 months of appointment, and attend this training every other year thereafter.
California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act
The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in the California State University Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Opportunity
California State University, Sacramento is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. Sacramento State hires only those individuals who are lawfully authorized to accept employment in the United States.
It is the policy of California State University, Sacramento to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified persons with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment. If you need a disability related reasonable accommodation as part of the application and/or interviewing process, visit http://www.csus.edu/hr/departments/equal-opportunity/index.html.
The University is committed to creating an education and working environment free from discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. For more information on mandatory training for new employees, visit http://www.csus.edu/hr/departments/equal-opportunity/Information%20for%20Job%20Applicants.html.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Fire Safety Right-To-know Act Notification. For additional information, visit http://www.csus.edu/aba/police/.
Posting Detail Information
Number of Vacancies
Open Until Filled
First Priority Review Date
Special Instructions to Applicants
Position is temporary and renewable. Reappointment is contingent on budget, work performance, and recommendation of supervisor.
For questions regarding this search, contact:
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
1. * What is the highest level of education attained? •GED
- High School Diploma
- Associates Degree
- Bachelors Degree
- Masters Degree
2. * How many years of training and/or similar administrative work experience do you have? •none
- Less than 2 years
- 2 years
- 3 years
- 4 years or more
Documents Needed To Apply
Required Documents 1.Resume/Curriculum Vitae
Optional Documents 1.Letter of Recommendation