Are you passionate about being on the forefront of discovery for infectious diseases and health exposure science?
Do you thrive on working with diverse and interdisciplinary teams?
Do you have experience applying micro- and molecular-biology laboratory techniques to characterize emerging biological threats?
If so, we are looking for someone like you to join our team!
We at APL are passionate about getting the right solution to our customers and end users, and are committed to integrity and honesty. We strive to be a trusted agent for the government and cultivate a One Team environment of trust, transparency and accountability. At APL, you will be among creative thinkers, motivated problem solvers and life-long learners that want to strengthen the safety and security of our country.
As a Micro/Molecular Biologist...
- Your primary role will be to contribute to a variety of research, development, and characterization projects in microbiology and molecular biology sciences to help understand and mitigate emerging health-related threats and infectious diseases in clinical environments and other settings.
- You will participate in both small and large teams and work in a variety of laboratory environments. You will write technical reports and publications, and publish/present results to the scientific community.
- You will communicate key findings both internally across teams and externally to the broader research community while contributing on diverse and high-performing teams.
- You will travel approximately two weeks per year and work in Biosafety Level 2 and Biosafety Level 3 laboratories.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you have...
- A Bachelor’s degree in Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Biology or related discipline and 1 or more years of experience with general laboratory equipment and methods.
- Experience with laboratory measurements of pathogenic microorganisms.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Strong hands-on laboratory skills and ability to manage multiple simultaneous assignments and rapidly changing priorities.
- Methodical, meticulous work practices and excellent interpersonal, logical reasoning, and organizational skills.
- The ability to work collaboratively in a team environment with scientists and engineers representing different backgrounds, skill sets, and experience levels.
- The desire to work in both BSL2 and BSL3 laboratory environments.
- Are able to obtain Interim Secret level security clearance by your start date and can ultimately obtain Secret level clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you have...
- Experience working in BSL3 laboratory environment.
- Strong background in micro- and molecular-biology laboratory techniques.
Hold an active Secret security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates. At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities athttp://www.jhuapl.edu/careers.