ENVIRONMENTAL SPECIALIST I - 37020855
Posting Closing Date:
Environmental Specialist I
This position assists the Education Coordinator and educational staff in the development, enhancement and implementation of environmental education programs within the Guana Tolomato Matanzas National Estuarine Research Reserve. Primary duties include the following:
- Serve as lead for implementing environmental education programs at the Reserve for elementary, middle, high school, and college students.
- Coordinate onsite visits for formal educators and their classes and customize experiences based on specific needs.
- Facilitate environmental education programs at schools, civic meetings and other public sites.
- Assist with the coordination and implementation of the GTM Research Reserve Education Volunteer Program.
- Assist in aligning existing programs to state science education standards and developing new activities that are aligned to standards.
- Maintain laboratory and field equipment used by the education department.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- A four-year degree in natural sciences and/or education plus a minimum two years professional experience in environmental education is preferred.
The State of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer, and does not tolerate discrimination or violence in the workplace.
Candidates requiring a reasonable accommodation, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, must notify the agency hiring authority and/or People First Service Center (1-866-663-4735). Notification to the hiring authority must be made in advance to allow sufficient time to provide the accommodation.
The State of Florida supports a Drug-Free workplace. All employees are subject to reasonable suspicion drug testing in accordance with Section 112.0455, F.S., Drug-Free Workplace Act.
VETERANS’ PREFERENCE. Pursuant to Chapter 295, Florida Statutes, candidates eligible for Veterans’ Preference will receive preference in employment for Career Service vacancies and are encouraged to apply. Candidates claiming Veterans’ Preference must attach supporting documentation with each submission that includes character of service (for example, DD Form 214 Member Copy #4) along with any other documentation as required by Rule 55A-7, Florida Administrative Code. Veterans’ Preference documentation requirements are available by clicking here. All documentation is due by the close of the vacancy announcement.
Nearest Major Market: