Are you searching for a leadership opportunity where you will enhance and improve the creativity and innovation of an entire organization?
Do you want to thrive in an environment ranked as one of Computerworld's 2019 Best Places to Work in IT? Are you passionate about helping people to build a more creative work place and providing outstanding IT services?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join us at APL!
We are seeking an IT Service Manager to help us provide ground breaking technology tools to an organization solving key challenges for our nation. This role will lead operational support for applications used across the enterprise by scientists, engineers and business professionals and manage a team of application developers. This role is part of a dynamic, reciprocal and creative team that provides technologically ground breaking tools to the country's leading university affiliated research center.
As the Innovation & Collaboration Service Manager …
- Your primary responsibility will be to run the day-to-day operations of applications in the Innovation & Collaboration service area, including planning roadmaps and other initiatives, working with application partners and owners;
- You will be the primary contact for application issues in the Innovation & Collaboration service area as well as leading tasking for IT staff within this service area;
- You will analyze, design, configure, test and deploy system changes that relate to the Innovation & Collaboration applications and services;
- You will interact and collaborate with all levels of staff to include active participation and involvement as part of the group's and department's management teams;
- You will be responsible for the service budget and management information, including collaborating with Project Managers and Section Supervisors; and
- You will actively participate in the hiring process, help to mentor and guide staff growth, and ensuring work assignments are consistent with project needs and staff development plans.
You meet the minimum requirements if you have...
- A Bachelor's degree in a technical field (information systems, engineering, computer science or related area) or equivalent years of IT experience
- 8 years of professional work experience including IT project management or IT service operations management for enterprise applications.
- At least 5 years of project or team leadership experience
- Strong IT background, including web-based development, relational database technologies and query (e.g., SQL)
- Detailed knowledge of the software creation process and software development methodologies
- Strong analytical, multitasking, and interpersonal and social skills with the ability to develop productive working interactions within teams and across the organization
- Ability to prioritize work assignments, communicate progress to partners, and provide timely outcomes
- Strong sense of follow-through and commitment to completing tasks
- Shown success with conflict resolution and demonstrable people management skills
- Strong communicator and writer and including experience making pitches to varied audiences (e.g., technical and non-technical, executive)
- Excellent communication, customer interface, analytical, problem solving and organizational skills
- Ability to work occasional weekends and other after hours work required to handle and/or complete critical project/work-related business needs.
- US Citizen required
You go above and beyond if you have...
- A Master's degree in a technical field (information systems, engineering, computer science or related area).
- At least 5 years of previous service management/operational support/project management experience
- Experience leading upgrades or new implementations of enterprise applications.
- Active Secret clearance
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.