Must be available to relocate to Massachusetts from June 17 through August 10, 2020.
Travel reimbursement, room and board, and competitive salary are included as part of this contract position. There is also an opportunity for those who live locally to commute.
· Professional and personal growth
· Opportunities to influence and impact children's identity and emotional growth
· Connection to a culturally diverse community
PROGRAMMING & CODING: SWIFT INSTRUCTOR DESCRIPTION
The following information is regarding a seasonal staff position at a residential summer camp located outside of Boston, Massachusetts. This position includes a competitive salary, travel reimbursement, and room & board for the duration of your contract. There is also an opportunity for those who live locally to commute.
Sci-Tech East is looking for talented and enthusiastic individuals who are passionate about STEM and education to teach our Programming & Coding: SWIFT workshop! Instructors will teach campers aged 9-15 who will have beginning to intermediate knowledge of the Swift programming language.
Ideal Instructor candidate is a schoolteacher, university professor, or graduate student looking for summer opportunities to make money while continuing to hone their craft. Candidates can also be a high-level undergraduate or current graduate student looking for summer opportunities that will help make their resume stand out in a competitive job market. If you want to spend the summer working with inquisitive children in an exciting environment, this is the experience you’re looking for!
- Teach three 2-week program blocks during the summer for a total of 6 weeks, adjusting teaching styles for various ability levels and ages of campers. By the end of each two-week session, campers should have a preliminary working knowledge of the Swift programming language and have created a project that works on iOS devices.
- Develop and edit the curriculum, which will include curriculum development prior to the summer. Instructors will be expected to plan their lessons prior to the beginning of camp for approval by the Director and Assistant Director.
- See themselves as members of the greater camp community and participate in activities beyond teaching responsibilities.
- The Instructor Team is responsible for the planning and implementation of TECHTalks, the showcase that happens at the end of each session, with the assistance of the Logistics team.
- Instructors should have at least a bachelor’s degree in Education, Computer Science, or another field relevant to programming & coding and Swift (or have comparable experience with the Swift programming language) by the beginning of camp.
- Must understand and be able to teach about the Swift programming language
- Be a positive role model who enjoys being with and providing guidance to children.
- Understand the nature of camp life and can adjust plans accordingly and maintain a level of flexibility.
- Be a team player with the confidence to take the lead and mentor other employees, including the assistant lead instructor/counselors assisting in the Programming & Coding workshop, when necessary.
- Must be able to teach about the Swift programming language in a fun, hands-on, “campy” way that gets campers excited about being in the workshop and excited about being at camp.
- Curriculum writing experience is preferred but not required.
JOB TYPE AND DATES
This is a temporary, seasonal summer job. The job will run from June 17 through August 10, 2020, with a retreat held from June 5 – June 7, 2020.
DESCRIPTION OF WORKSHOP FROM OUR WEBSITE
Computer code is part of our everyday lives. In our Programming and Coding workshop, you’ll not only learn the most sought-after skill in the 21st century, you’ll also have fun in an environment that’s all about curiosity, playfulness, and logic. In our Programming and Coding workshop, campers at all levels will be able to learn, grow, and develop their coding skills in a hands-on, project-based environment with expert instructors.
This summer we will be learning the Swift programming language to practice computer logic and develop iOS (Apple) applications. There’s never been a better time to learn Apple’s new programming language. Since its launch in 2014, Swift has become one of the most popular programming languages in the world, ranking 12th on the TIOBE Index, and has already supplanted Apple’s original development language, Objective-C!
Swift is designed with education and fun in mind. The engineers over at Apple designed Swift to be powerful enough for professional developers and expert campers, while still being easy for a novice to pick up! This makes it perfect for our multi-skill level workshop environment at Sci-Tech, where we design workshops with both returning and new campers in mind. Campers with little experience in programming will learn the ins and outs of different software to think like a programmer, and by the end of the session, they’ll have a working app they can share with friends and family. More advanced campers can build on their previous knowledge to develop increasingly more complex programs, and with the switch to Swift, campers returning to Programming and Coding will have the opportunity to learn a brand-new development environment!
Whether you love the challenge of programming logic puzzles or enjoy the thrill of creating apps that can improve the world, the Programming and Coding workshop is the right place for you this summer!
At the Union for Reform Judaism's 6 Points Sci-Tech Academy, scientific inquiry meets fun! Campers entering grades 5-10 spend two weeks exploring robotics, video game design, environmental science, digital media, and a host of other fun activities in a friendly setting with campers who share similar interests. Located just outside of Boston’s science and technology corridor on the campus of the beautiful Governor’s Academy boarding school, 6 Points Sci-Tech Academy offers all the advantages of a top-quality educational facility along with access to the best and the brightest minds in the science and technology community.
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary, Contract
Salary: $2,000.00 to $3,000.00 /month
- Swift/iOS development: 1 year (Preferred)
- Relocation assistance
- Professional development assistance
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- People-oriented -- enjoys interacting with people and working on group projects
- Adaptable/flexible -- enjoys doing work that requires frequent shifts in direction
- Innovative -- prefers working in unconventional ways or on tasks that require creativity
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Innovative -- innovative and risk-taking
- People-oriented -- supportive and fairness-focused
- Team-oriented -- cooperative and collaborative
This Job Is:
- A good fit for applicants with gaps in their resume, or who have been out of the workforce for the past 6 months or more
- A good job for someone just entering the workforce or returning to the workforce with limited experience and education
- A job for which all ages, including older job seekers, are encouraged to apply
- Open to applicants who do not have a college diploma
- Monday to Friday
- Weekends required