The Volunteer and Events Coordinator is an integrated member of the Development Department with the objective to support the mission of SJRC Texas by building an ever-increasing network of volunteer support for the organization. In conjunction with the Development team, the Volunteer and Events Coordinator is responsible for volunteer recruitment, orientation, project planning, implementation and supervision of volunteer activities; and, with the assistance of the Director of Development, coordination of events. In addition to the daily maintenance of the volunteer program, the Volunteer and Events Coordinator will work closely with the Director of Development to coordinate fundraising, donor, and community events. The position requires a clear communicator, both verbal and written, organized with effective time management skills, demonstrating a willingness to learn and adapt, with the highest standards of behavior, detail orientation, collaborative manner and work ethic. This is a full-time position. The schedule for this position requires weekday as well as occasional weekend and evening hours to manage volunteer group activities, committee meetings and events to benefit the organization. This position reports to the Director of Development.
Essential Functions: Volunteer Coordination
- Recruits, screens, interviews and trains new volunteers.
- Provides ongoing training and supervision of preexisting volunteers, ensuring that volunteers are given appropriate training to be successful in their positions.
- Works with volunteers individually and in small groups.
- Access experience, skills and limitations of volunteers to successfully engage them in meaningful volunteer service.
- Orients, trains, coaches, motivates, measures and evaluates volunteers in accordance with organizational policies, procedures and programs. Orients volunteers to increase their understanding of the organization, its clients, its services and the role and responsibilities of volunteers.
- Acts as liaison between volunteers and the organization to ensure that staff are prepared for arrival of volunteer groups and that all necessary tools, resources and materials are readily available and that all affected staff understand details and expectations.
- Ensures that volunteer policies and procedures are followed, and records of volunteer hours are maintained according to established procedures.
- Assists with conflict resolution among clients, staff and volunteers according to established procedures.
- Plans and implements formal and informal volunteer recognition activities to recognize the contribution of volunteers to the organization.
- Creates and maintains volunteer files which track individual applications, background checks, and other paperwork related to their ongoing participation in SJRC Texas volunteer opportunities.
- Ensures that volunteers hours are used productively, and projects are completed in a timely manner.
- Maintains volunteer calendar, arranging schedules for different departments and activities where volunteers are utilized.
- Completes monthly reporting summaries of volunteer hours and project status.
- Represent organization throughout the community and actively engage in networking.
- Perform other duties or special projects as needed.
- Assist with the planning and execution of special events, and all event logistics, to include: securing event space, vendor contract negotiations, invitations, budget, in-kind donations, developing script, staffing for events, and post-event evaluation, etc.
- Oversees corporate sponsor fulfillment (forms, logos, tickets, attendees)
- Assists Director of Development in leveraging interactions with event volunteers, donors, sponsors, Board members, public officials, and stakeholders toward event goals
- Attend and assist with Committee meetings directly related to events.
- Coordinate with the Development Team on the concept, coordination and scheduling of events.
- Attend each event to ensure it runs smoothly.
- Maintain agency calendar of events
In collaboration with Development Coordinator:
- Maintain up to date event details on the SJRC Texas website.
- Post event details on social media and maintain a steady presence leading up to each event with additional details and reminders.
- Promote events via community calendars
- Send media alerts for all events.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Characteristics:
- Experience working with volunteers and/or organizing community activities is preferred.
- Strong management skills including planning, coordination and supervision.
- Ability to perform physical work, including working in outdoor elements and lifting up to 50 lbs. unaided is required.
- This position will require a highly organized individual, with excellent follow up skills as well as the ability to overcome objections and obstacles in the pursuit of success.
- Superior one-on-one interpersonal and communication skills, including ability to foster confidence and trust, listen sensitively, and respond appropriately are key attributes for the successful applicant. Demonstrates a positive attitude, self-motivation, organization, and resourcefulness while maintaining a reputation through proven action of being client oriented.
- The successful candidate will have the ability to work well under stressful conditions, negotiate different personalities and work under competing priorities while managing a wide variety of tasks. Demonstrated proficiency in using Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and other applications as well experience using a volunteer database preferred.
- Must be prompt and dependable.
- Able to work with minimal day to day supervision.
- The nature of this work is also somewhat unpredictable, and the successful candidate must have the flexibility to work some evenings and weekends.
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Basic A D & D and Paid Time Off
Required education, experience, training
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Communications, Business, or Public Relations
- Experience in Event Planning and Volunteer Coordination
Preferred experience, training
- At least 3 years’ experience in event planning and volunteer management. Computer skills must include proficiency in Microsoft office suite, and social media platforms. Experience with graphic design software and e-mail marketing systems a plus.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $34,000.00 to $36,000.00 /year
- E-Mail Marketing Systems: 3 years (Preferred)
- Microsoft Office/Social Media Platforms: 3 years (Preferred)
- Event Planning: 3 years (Required)
- Volunteer Management: 3 years (Required)
- Graphic Design Software: 3 years (Preferred)