"An Equal Opportunity Employer” It is the policy of North American Stamping Group to provide employment, training, promotion, and other conditions of Employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age or status as a qualified individual with a disability or other status protected by law.
Division / Dept.
Grade / Class
Shared Services Controller
Direct / Indirect Reports
As a key member of the Division Management team, the Controller will report to the Corporate
Controller and assume a strategic role in the management and financial reporting for the
operating division. The Controller will have primary day-to-day responsibility for planning,
implementing, managing, and controlling all financial-related activities of the division. This will
include direct responsibility for general accounting, finance, forecasting, strategic planning,
costing, payables, order entry, billing, cost accounting, bill of materials, business analysis and
financial reporting. The Controller will also liaison with shared service financial staff as required.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
A. Lead Strategy, Planning, and Management.
1. Act as Finance Manager/Controller and strategic business partner to division leadership
team. Serve as a key member of NASG Finance team.
2. Assess and evaluate financial performance of division with regard to long term
operational goals, budgets and forecasts.
3. Provide insight and recommendations to both short term and long term growth plan of
4. Support ERP systems and software to provide critical financial and operational
information. Evaluate departments and make suggestions for automating processes and
increasing working efficiency.
5. Communicate, engage, and interact with local management group and NASG senior
6. Create and establish yearly divisional financial objectives that align with the company's
plan for growth and expansion.
7. Oversee controls and payback calculations of capital expenditures.
8. Support consultants and auditors as directed/engaged by the shared services group.
9. Implement policies, procedures and processes as deemed appropriate by shared
service leadership team.
B. Direct Financial Analysis, Budgeting, and Forecasting.
1. Prepare and present division monthly financial budgeting reports, monthly profit and
loss, forecast, and variance reports.
2. Review and analyze monthly financial results and provide recommendations.
3. Maintain monthly operating budget and annual division operating budget.
4. Provide the financial planning and analysis function for the division. Participate in
creation of reports, software implementation, and tools for budgeting and forecasting.
5. Participate in periodic conference calls with operations management, vendors, and
shared service leadership team.
6. Prepare periodic sales variance reports and explain variations to plan and/or trends.
7. Work with the sales team to validate/audit all customer pricing changes.
C. Oversee Accounting, General Ledger, Administration and Operations.
1. Lead the accounting department to ensure the proper functioning of all systems,
databases, and financial software. Ensure regular maintenance and backup of all
accounting systems. Supervise division financial staff.
2. Review and ensure application of appropriate internal controls, and financial procedures.
3. Ensure timeliness and accuracy of financial and management reporting data for federal
funders, investors, and company's board of directors.
4. Monitor financial information and provide for the preparation and timely filing of all local,
state, and federal tax returns.
5. Work with Human Resources to ensure appropriate legal compliance.
6. Manage/Participate in the month end close process, constantly reviewing procedures
while eliminating inefficiencies.
7. Review all month-end closing activities including general ledger accounts, balance sheet
accounts, and overhead cost allocation.
8. Recruit, interview, hire, develop, and manage finance, accounting, and payroll staff as
9. Serve as a key point of contact for external auditors related to the division. Manage
preparation and support of all external audits.
10. Coordinate and strategize methods used to attain team goals with Finance staff of the
division and shared services team.
D. Manage Cost and Inventory Accounting.
1. Understand bills of materials to ensure product costs are accurate and accounted for
2. Ensure timely and accurate input of bills of materials and price code changes.
3. Ensure bills of materials and costing accurately reflect production operations.
4. Analyze potential excess and obsolete inventory items as necessary
5. Attend daily production meetings to understand all operations decisions affecting the
6. Ensure accuracy of the physical inventory and reported results. Investigate and explain
book to physical adjustments.
7. Review scrap sales reporting to ensure accuracy.
E. Direct Cash Management for the Division.
1. Oversee weekly cash management.
2. Oversee Accounts Payable Department, approve/review large payables, sign checks,
and authorize large wires and ACHs.
3. Supervise Accounts Receivable management and provide guidance relating to the
4. Work with the Division operations team to reduce inventory levels and approve Net
Working Capital position.
F. Serve as Finance Business Partner for the Division.
1. Attend all AP/QP meetings.
2. Provide support for Financial Review meetings and review/approve financial related KPI
3. Perform periodic walkthroughs of the plant with the Operations Manager/General
Manager to discuss production and costing issues.
4. Review labor reporting and cost, material cost, manufacturing overhead, distribution
cost, quality cost, and inventory levels.
5. Conduct formal meetings with manufacturing, finance and management personnel to
discuss all plant issues. Develop and publish a formal agenda and recap with actions to
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance.
- CPA/CMA and/or MBA preferred.
- 5-7 years’ minimum experience as a Controller in a comparable size manufacturing
company, preferably automotive.
- 10+ years total accounting or finance experience.
- 5-7 years’ functional leadership experience as a manager in a manufacturing environment,
preferably automotive stamping.
- Strong cost accounting background including knowledge of bills of materials and product
- Proven leadership and team building skills.
- Possess strong leadership skills and ability.
- Experience in strategic planning and execution.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, multicultural environment.
- Ability to develop financial plans and manage resources.
- Possess systems implementation experience in a growing environment.
- Experience in formulating policy, and developing and implementing new strategies and
- Strong organization, time management, and planning skills and ability to manage multiple
tasks with tight deadlines.
- Ability to rapidly process and comprehend large amounts of detailed information to consider
the implications and consequences of new facts and make decisions.
- Displays advanced math skills.
- Strong project management skills.
- Demonstrate a "hands on" approach.
- Proven negotiation and mediation skills.
- Excellent analytical and reasoning skills.
- Ability to think strategically and creatively.
- Ability to develop and deliver presentations.
- Ability to analyze and interpret financial data.
- Ability to be articulate, concise, compelling and diplomatic.
- Ability to effectively facilitate problem solving and resolution.
- Versed in statistical data entry and utilization of trend analysis.
- Knowledge of contracting, negotiating, and change management.
- Skill in examining and re-engineering operations and procedures.
- Ability to plan, supervise, and perform functions of assigned areas.
- Display excellent collaboration and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to motivate teams and simultaneously manage several projects.
- Ability to communicate and work well with others in a team environment.
- Easily balances competing priorities, complex situations, and tight deadlines.
- Ability to overcome obstacles to cooperation and to foster harmonious relations.
- Ability to speak to groups of people and make presentations to senior leadership team.
- Ability to multi-task, handle diversity, and provide leadership through problem resolution.
- High level of integrity and dependability with a strong sense of urgency and results-orientation.
- Demonstrated leadership ability, confidence and executive presence – ability to motivate staff.
- Significant experience working with external auditors, internal controls and compliance related
- Ability to adapt available skills and systems to respond to unforeseen demands and/or
- Ability to build consensus, rally support around common goals, and to motivate groups and
- Ability to take actions and make decisions that protect the contractual, legal, tax, and ethical
implications for the organization.
- Must have the ability to monitor and adjust operating plans and budgets as needed to achieve
operational goals, cost reduction objectives, and/or profitability targets.
- Thorough understanding of company product, trade terminology, quality management and
control systems and techniques, manufacturing processes including material controls, work
flow, scheduling, kanban, and equipment and machine operation.
- Must be able to speak, read, write, and understand the primary language (English) used in
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English. Conversational Spanish for
Mexico-based operations helpful.
- Background coordinating with I.T. staff to manage and/or upgrade financial, accounting, and
- Systems implementation experience strongly preferred.
- Working knowledge and “Hands On” experience with ERP/MRP Systems.
- Solid working knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office and other computer-based
applications (e.g., MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, MS Outlook, Internet, etc.).
- New Hire Orientation
- Environmental, Health, & Safety
- TS16949/ISO 14001
- Introduction to Lean
- Associate Involvement
- Quick Die Change – SMED
- Workplace Organization – 5S
- Total Productive Maintenance (TPM)
Open Office Environment
Various types of manufacturing environments.
- Standard automotive plant environment with moderate noise level.
- PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) such as safety glasses, steel toe shoes, Kevlar
sleeves, hearing protection, etc. may be required in designated engineering, manufacturing,
or industrial areas. Personal attire standards may apply.
- Involves moderate or occasional presence of some slightly disagreeable conditions, i.e.,
cold, dust, heat, odor, etc.
Must be willing to travel up to 10% to visit customers, suppliers, and other manufacturing sites.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an
associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
Although the primary job functions involve the ability to sit and work on a computer and in an
office situation for extensive periods of time, the associate must be capable of walking, sitting,
and standing for extended periods of time. The associate is frequently required to walk; reach
with hands and arms; and talk, see, and hear. The associate is occasionally required to climb or
balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The associate must frequently lift and /or move up to
10 pounds, occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and infrequently lift and/or move up to
50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision,
peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
This job description is intended to identify the general nature and level of work performed by
associates within this classification, as well as certain essential job functions. It is not intended,
and should not be interpreted, as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and
qualifications required of associates assigned to this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities
may change at any time with or without notice, based on operational needs. To qualify for this
job, however, an associate must be able to perform its essential functions with or without
reasonable accommodation. Under no circumstances may this job description be construed as
altering the at-will nature of the employment relationship between NASG and any associate.
North American Stamping Group is a drug-free and smoke-free workplace.