The Staff Attorney is a highly trained and skilled attorney with the responsibility for assisting the General Counsel with
a variety of legal, corporate and legislative affairs affecting Events DC. The Staff Attorney reports directly to the
General Counsel, and work is performed under the direction and supervision of the General Counsel, Deputy General
Counsel, and/or Associate General Counsel(s).
EXAMPLES OF WORK ASSIGNED
The following is intended only as an illustration of the work that may be performed. The omission of a specific task
does not exclude it from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment.
- Drafts, reviews and negotiates a variety of transactional documents, including facility licenses, sponsorship
agreements, marketing agreements and sports and entertainment-related agreements.
- Conducts research and analysis; interprets statutes, regulations and caselaw; prepares legal memoranda, letters
or reports, and provides advice and counsel as requested.
- Investigates property and casualty claims by or against Events DC.
- Assists with litigation and administrative practice.
- Ensures that Events DC complies with applicable laws.
- Performs a variety of related tasks and duties as assigned.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Familiarity with District and Federal government agencies.
- Advanced legal research skills, including the use of library-based and electronic research solutions (e.g., LEXIS
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Superior writing skills and ability to prepare sound, concise, and legally sustainable agreements.
- Ability to express ideas and convey information effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Excellent evaluation, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Ability to exercise sound, independent judgment and discretion.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and perform with minimal supervision.
- Ability to operate in organized manner and to develop and maintain accurate records.
CORE COMPETENCIES (SPECIALIST)
- Job Knowledge and Technical Expertise
- Strategic Thinking
- Project Management
- Problem Solving
- Attention to Detail
ADA ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Ability to read instructions, directions, letters, memos and other written materials.
- Ability to converse orally and utilize standard telephones and mobile devices to receive and communicate
information with staff and customers.
- Juris Doctor from an accredited law school and admitted to the Bar of the District of Columbia (or if not
currently admitted, expected to obtain admission within 12 months from date of hire).
- Five to seven years’ experience, preferably working primarily as in-house counsel
- Experience in corporate law, public assembly/hospitality industry law, sports and entertainment law, municipal
law, and/or legislative affairs preferred.
- All positions require candidates to successfully complete our background screening process.
In an effort to protect our environment from paper waste all candidates must apply on-line on our website:
Computers are available in the Labor and Contractor Office (Access Control) at 1116 7th Street NW
Monday – Tuesday and Friday – 7:00 a.m. – 11a.m.
Wednesday and Thursday – 8:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Washington Convention & Sports Authority T/A Events DC
Human Resources Department
801 Mount Vernon Place, NW
Washington, DC 20001