Responsible for administering the University’s compensation programs. Evaluates and analyzes salary data, conducts job evaluations and reviews salary adjustment recommendations, determines pay grades, and conducts or participates in compensation surveys. Reviews existing and proposed job classifications to obtain information regarding job responsibilities, content, FLSA exemption and qualifications. The Compensation Specialist must communicate effectively both verbally and in writing; build and maintain positive working relationships with customers; abide by University guidelines; maintain confidentiality; prioritize and manage work effectively while maintaining a high degree of accuracy; provide exceptional customer service.
The core of this position requires a highly motivated, analytical person who embraces the opportunity to help grow an institution; where leading the way by increasing customer service, efficiency and capacity.
- Evaluate new and existing positions by investigating and analyzing position duties and responsibilities to determine appropriate classification and salary levels; conduct desk audits as necessary.
- Develop and maintain job descriptions to accurately describe job content and ensure compliance with applicable laws.
- Assist in developing and maintaining department policies and procedures by monitoring changes in federal, state, and local laws.
- Assist in conducting and participating in salary surveys to determine market relationship.
- Contributed and/or supports efforts to establish HR as a trusted partner and advisor with campus leadership.
- Skilled in building client relations
- Strong writing and analytical skills
- Initiative and problem-solving skills
- Respects confidentiality
- Great innovative/creative ideas
- Strong team player
- Excellent presentation skills
Bachelor’s degree in Human Resource, Business or related field, or equivalency; 2 years Human Resource experience or equivalency; and demonstrated computer and effective communication skills required. Experience with Microsoft Office, writing job descriptions, performing job classification audits and preparing salary surveys preferred.
Experience in a University or academic research environment preferred.
Type Benefited Staff Special Instructions Summary