The goals of the Clinical Informatics Intern role are to:
(1) deepen the individual's knowledge of the operational challenges involved in administrating a complex, multi-institutional suite of clinical informatics tools, (2) collaborate in the evolution of existing tools and in the development and implementation of new clinical informatics solutions, and (3) gain exposure to the management discussions that drive the health system towards the forefront of medical information technology.
The Clinical Informatics Intern role collaborates with the Information Services and Informatics teams to assist in the development of strategies for ongoing evaluation, analysis and optimization of the Electronic Health Record (Epic EHR) Furthermore, the role will participate in the iterative customization of EHR offerings to find the most generalizable set of functionalities that provides sufficient individualization to satisfy the needs of the varied hospital ecosystems within the health system. These responsibilities will involve continuous communication with diverse hospital providers and personnel to understand and address the challenges that will affect the implementation and improvement processes.
In collaboration with software engineers, the role participates in the development of mobile technologies aimed at improving the speed, ease, and efficiency of patient care. Involvement will span the design, implementation, evaluation, and iterative improvement phases of these mobile technologies' lifetimes. Will perform hypothesis-driven studies of the user interactions with and impact of these different new technologies.
- Assists with the ongoing analysis and optimization of the integrated electronic health record (EHR)
- Aids in the design, development and deployment of tools to support clinical pathways, order sets, mobile technology, and clinical decision support in the electronic health record (EHR)
- Handles other responsibilities and assignments based on changing demands in the department
- Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures
- Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization
- Bachelor's Degree required
- Completion or current enrollment in clinical degree program preferred
- Clinical Experience preferred
- Broad understanding of various clinical services and information/work flow associated with each
- Ability to understand and describe clinical processes and needs and transform them into scope and/or requirements during the development of functionality and application processes
- Detail oriented, strong analytical, organizational, and problem solving skills required.
- Process improvement and project management skills
- Ability to analyze, diagnose, suggest and implement process changes
- Ability to effectively implement projects
- Ability to work independently and utilize good judgment and timing in deciding which situations require Manager involvement
- Ability to troubleshoot, research and solve technically challenging problems involving integrated systems
- Ability to interact with all levels of healthcare personnel to include: IT management staff, consulting staff, clinicians, clinical administrators, etc.
- Must be able to function as part of a team providing a high level of quality service
- Must demonstrate strong written and oral communication skills.
- Clinical applications experience in either an application support or implementation role preferred
- Familiarity with the processes surrounding Patient Care Outcomes and Quality Improvement
- Familiarity with direct patient care processes and workflow
- Knowledge of statistical and machine learning techniques such as decision trees, neural networks, graphical models, clustering, dimension reduction, and deep generative models preferred
- Strong project management skills and ability to scope a project, manage large multidisciplinary meetings, and implement projects within a proposed timeline
- Experience in researching and writing for publication
- Experience working as an end user or developer of the Epic EHR
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Penn Medicine http://www.pennmedicine.org/careers/
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.