Under the direction of the nurse and nurse manager, maintains the safety of patients who are confused, at risk of falling, or are suicidal and deemed a danger to self or others. This includes maintaining safety for patients in restraints. Maintains safe, clean environment for patient area. May participate in diversion activities with the patient such as reading to the patient, playing games/cards, watching TV, etc. Effectively interacts with the patient, his/her significant others, and the nursing staff. Effectively communicates observations, conditions, problems, safety issues, and concerns regarding the patient directly with the nursing staff. He/she is responsible to the Patient Care Coordinator and Nurse Manager on the unit for patient care and ultimately accountable to the Emergency Nursing Director. When not assigned to sit with a patient, will support the nursing staff by obtaining and documenting vital signs on patients, transport patients to and from Radiology or to an inpatient unit, stock patient exam rooms and supply rooms, answer the nurse[‘s station phone, nurse call or monitor door entrance into the ED.
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served; also demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development and possesses the ability to collect and relay appropriate data to nurse.
- Maintains Basic Life Support (BLS) certification.
- Demonstrates ability to perform skills required for each unit’s population by rendering care to sit with a patient when assigned that may include restraint procedures, 1:1 suicide precautions and safety measures to prevent patient from injuring themselves or falling.
- Consistently follows policy, procedures, and standards of care in preforming duties and promotes the established values of the organization, i.e. customer service, safety, infection control and compliance standards.
- Demonstrates the ability to effectively communicate pertinent patient information to all health care team members using customer service skills and embraces and practices We CARE philosophy when interacting with patients, visitors, co-workers and physicians.
- Demonstrates the ability to document vital signs and patient encounters appropriately in the EMR.
- Demonstrates the ability to tolerate physically demanding task of moving equipment and patients utilizing safety measures for both yourself and/or the patient.
- Demonstrates the ability to stock supplies according to PAR levels in the ED.
- Demonstrates the ability to use proper phone etiquette.
High School diploma or equivalent preferred
Experience in a hospital environment preferred. Basic knowledge of patient care preferred.
Ability to perform repetitive tasks, cooperate with others in a positive manner, take orders and follow directions precisely, read and write, communicate effectively and positively, maintain rapport in all situations, and adapt to varied socioeconomic levels and environments.
within 30 days of employment