- PhD in Operations Research, Industrial Engineering, Computer Science, or similar technical field.
- Mastery of statistics and probability, particularly their application in systems analysis and operations research.
- Fluency in at least one programming or scripting language (Python, Java, C, C++, etc.).
- Familiarity with at least one optimization software (Xpress, CPLEX, Gurobi etc.).
- Experience with SQL and Statistical Computing tools (R, SPSS, etc.).
Come and be part of the Amazon Imaging Workflows team, and build solutions that provide the best product photography in the industry to empower customers to make informed purchasing decisions. Through technology, we seek to constantly increase the quality of photos and videos, to lower the cost of acquisition, and to invent new imaging products. We apply a mix of workflow, Image Processing, Computer Vision and Machine Learning, and we blend that with our in-house developed robotic capture devices. We partner with many different teams across Amazon, and are frequently involved in “Special Projects” to bring new innovations to market.
We are looking for experienced Applied Scientists who are excited about building industry leading, next generation imaging solutions on the AWS cloud. As an Applied Scientist in the group, you will own parts of resource planning and scheduling within our Imaging Studios, and will work with product, SDE and BI teams to experiment, build and deploy scalable solutions. You will use your experience in optimization, statistics, and simulation to design planning models, simulate their performance, and evaluate their impacts to cost, reliability, and speed of our supply chain. This position requires superior analytical thinkers, able to quickly approach large ambiguous problems and apply their technical knowledge to identify opportunities for further research. You should be able to come up with a problem definition and scope based on business and product team needs, build solutions that fit within the broad architecture, test and integrate the models, and aid and monitor the transition of the product into operation. Successful candidates must thrive in fast-paced environments which encourage collaborative and creative problem solving, be able to measure and estimate risks, constructively critique peer research, and align research focuses with the Amazon’s strategic needs.
Amazon Imaging offers a dynamic workplace that is fueled by innovation and passionate collaboration. We take pride in developing cutting-edge technology and products that are optimized for the best customer experience.
To learn more about Imaging Systems, visit our page at http://bit.ly/AmazonImageSys
- 2 + years’ experience beyond graduate work using theoretical models in a business environment.
- Expertise in one or more of the following: optimization, probability theory, queuing theory, game theory, simulation, decision analysis, stochastic models, system dynamics, forecasting and mathematical modeling.
- Strong fundamentals in problem solving, algorithm design and complexity analysis.
- Experience optimizing for short term execution while planning for long term technical capabilities.
- Ability and willingness to multi-task and learn new technologies quickly.
- Prior experience with Amazon Web Services technologies - EC2, SQS / SNS, SWS, DynamoDb, EMR