Cytologist PRN(Job Number: 00048-8015)
Work Location: United States-California-Thousand Oaks-Los Robles Hospital and Medical Center
Schedule: PRN/Per Diem
Job Type: Laboratory
Los Robles Hospital & Medical Center
is a licensed 404 bed acute care facility. Fully accredited by the Joint Commission, Los Robles Hospital has the only Level II Trauma Center in Eastern Ventura County and the only Emergency Room in both Los Angeles and Ventura counties coveted EDAP (Emergency Department Approved for Pediatrics) rating. In addition, it is the only hospital certified by both counties as a STEMI designated heart attack center for rapid heart attack response and is a certified Primary Stroke Center. With over 600 physicians on its medical staff, representing over 50 medical specialties, Los Robles is proud to be the community’s most trusted resource for health and a regional destination for care.
Under indirect supervision, performs variety of duties pertaining to detection of evidence of cancer or other pathological conditions by studying cells.
Required Knowledge, Abilities, Licensing:
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in health science (Biology, Zoology, Medical Technology)
- One year of cytology program from approved school
- Valid California Cytotechnologist License
- Certified Cytotechnologist (CT) by the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP)
- Current Gynecological Cytology Profiency Testing Certification
- 5 years of cytology experience preferred
- Working knowledge of laboratory information systems
- Working knowledge of quality assurance/performance improvement programs
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to identify and prioritize issues and concerns, generate and analyze feasible solutions, and choose and implement an optimal course of action.
- Strong interpersonal skills that reflect a positive attitude and a sense of commitment to our employees, work associates and community.
- Receives, identifies, and accesses all gynecological smears and non-gynecological specimens submitted for cytological evaluation.
- Prepares smears from all non-gynecological specimens, such as urine, sputum, and fluids by any or all of the following procedures: centrifugation, filtration, placing desired specimen on glass slides using pipette or applicator stick and immersing slide into fixative or spraying slide with aerosol fixative.
- Prepares slides for microscopic evaluation by immersing slides into appropriate stains, rinsing, dehydrating, and clearing agents, mounting slides with specific mounting agent and placing blank coverslip over specimen slides.
- Examines all smears for evidence of cancer or other diseased conditions; classifies slides according to established classifications ranging from negative to positive for malignant cells; signs-out all normal slides; refers all abnormal cases to pathologist for further evaluation or decision as to whether biopsy or further cytological study is necessary.
- Compiles listings of patients from whom a pathologist has requested follow-up specimens; maintains follow-up file on all atypical cases to determine if cell abnormalities have remained same, been eliminated or intensified; records and compares any surgical findings with cytological findings; reports findings to pathologist.
- Maintains records of all work performed in cytology section; orders and maintains adequate supplies; prepares reagents and stains, as needed.
- Assists with invasive procedures performed in Radiology and other locations within the hospital (e.g. FNA, FNAB).
- Keeps abreast of new cytological methods, advances, and trends through periodicals, internet searches, meetings, and seminars.
- Demonstrates sufficient knowledge, skills, and abilities in area of specialization.
- Performs other duties and accepts responsibility as assigned.
- Maintains established departmental and hospital policies, procedures, and objectives, as needed.
- Maintains compliance with all applicable regulatory and accreditation agencies (e.g. CAP, DHS, TJC, FDA, CLIA, HCFA and OIG Laboratory Compliance), as needed.
- Models adherence to applicable policies, protocols, practices including the Standards of Conduct, and excellent customer service with patients, medical staff, patient care providers, management and other departments that use our services.
- Maintains compliance with performance improvement, safety, environmental and infection control programs, as needed.
- Participates in appropriate educational programs and in-service meetings.