Earth Day is every day at EPA! At EPA, you can protect human health and the environment of all Americans, and you’ll discover that EPA is one great place to work! We offer great benefits and work flexibilities, and our diverse workforce connects to more than just a career-we share a common passion to promote a cleaner, healthier environment. Discover how exciting safeguarding our natural resources and protecting human health can be. Find yourself at EPA.
1. Analyze environmental samples for the determination of contaminants and biological parameters in the field.
2. Interpret and evaluate data to determine its significance, and communicates findings orally and in written reports.
3. Provide technical assistance and advice based on the analysis of environmental samples.
4. Provide QA technical expertise, assistance and guidance.
5. Assists in Implementing and adhering to Laboratory Quality Control system requirements.
Occasional travel - You may be required to travel 1 to 5 days per month.
Job family (Series)
0401 General Natural Resources Management And Biological Sciences
Conditions of Employment
If you are selected, a pre-employment background check is required.
Pre-employment physical is required and periodic physicals thereafter.
You must submit a resume and required documents (see How to Apply section).
Position has educational/degree requirements (see Qualifications section).
EPA and non-EPA applicants must submit transcripts/course listings.
This position is designated as Moderate Risk and requires a background investigation. Unless an appropriate background investigation is already on record with the Office of Personnel Management, you must undergo a background investigation.
If you are selected, you must complete a one year probationary period.
Participation in the medical monitoring program is required.
If selected, you must work at the location stated in this announcement.
Except in special circumstances, those new to the federal government will be hired at the starting salary (step 1) of the applicable grade range listed above.
One or more positions may be filled.
You need a degree or combination of education and experience as described below to qualify for this position.
General Natural Resources Management and Biological Sciences Series, 0401
biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position; OR
B. Combination of education and experience:
Courses equivalent to a major, as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
In addition to the educational requirements, we are looking for at least one year of specialized experience related to this position as described below:
To qualify for the GS-12 level, you need to have at least one year of full-time experience equivalent to the GS-11 level defined as: Experience performing chemical analyses and tests in the field; evaluating and resolving problems in field operations, such as quality control or instrumentation issues; selecting analytical methods and using standard operating procedures for the field.
Your answers to the online assessment will be used to evaluate your competencies in the following areas:
1. Knowledge of biological and chemical contaminants and parameters to analyze environmental samples and interpret data.
2. Ability to Perform and direct on-site physical, chemical and biological analyses of water samples.
3. Knowledge of biological contaminants and parameters to analyze environmental samples and interpret data
4. Skill in oral communication to provide technical assistance (e.g. explaining methodologies, troubleshooting analytical systems, recommending corrective actions, etc.) to federal, state, local, or tribal government officials.
5. Knowledge of federal, state, local, or tribal environmental regulations, policies, and requirements associated with inspection, enforcement and compliance.
6. Skill in oral communication to provide technical assistance (e.g. explaining methodologies, troubleshooting analytical systems, recommending corrective actions, etc.) to federal, state, local, or tribal government officials;
7. Ability to provide technical assistance and implementation guidance to Region 8 divisions/offices, states, and tribes by: explaining or clarifying QA requirements; recommending quality system improvements or corrective actions
8. Ability to provide technical advice and assistance and independently interpret QA policies and guidance for programs that gather or use environmental data.
9. Skill in using sophisticated on-site instruments and scientific equipment.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
A bachelor’s degree from an accredited or pre-accredited college or university is required.
As part of the application process, you are required to submit college transcripts or a list of courses as described in the Required Documents section of this announcement. However, if you are selected, you must provide official educational transcripts before you start work with EPA. More information on verification of education can be found here: EPA Announcement Policies and Procedures .
This position is located in Region 8, Office of Technical and Management Services, Laboratory Services Program, Denver, CO. For more information on this office, visit their website: https://www.epa.gov/aboutepa/epa-region-8-mountains-and-plains
Are you a Displaced Federal Employee? If so, please read the Required Documents section and visit the EPA website for additional information: EPA Announcement Policies and Procedures
EPA participates in E-Verify. E-Verify is an Internet based system operated by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in partnership with the Social Security Administration (SSA) that enables participating employers to electronically verify the employment eligibility of their newly hired employees. For additional information: EPA Announcement Policies and Procedures .
If you are selected, travel, transportation, and relocation expenses will not be paid by EPA. Any travel, transportation, and relocation expenses associated with reporting to work in this position will be your responsibility.
If you have part-time work experience, read this:
EPA Announcement Policies and Procedures .
Position has portable work and selectee may be authorized to telework after meeting eligibility requirements if approved by the supervisor/manager.
This position is in the bargaining unit.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
We will review your resume and required documents to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. Your resume must address the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed in the Qualifications section. If you meet basic qualification requirements, your application will be further evaluated based on your answers to the online assessment. Your responses to the online assessment will be used to measure the degree to which your background matches the requirements for the position. You are being evaluated under the category rating method which means, if you are determined to be qualified, you will be placed into the ‘Best Qualified’, ‘Well Qualified’, or ‘Qualified’ category.
We will compare your resume and supporting documentation to your responses on the assessment questionnaire. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application materials, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this job. We will evaluate your qualifications and eligibility and notify you if you meet minimum qualification requirements. If you are referred for consideration, you may be subject to additional assessments.
We do not require a separate statement responding to the competencies, also referred to as Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs). However, your resume should clearly show possession of these competencies.
To preview questions please click here .
Background checks and security clearance
Public Trust - Background Investigation
Drug test required
Documents to be submitted online:
Additional information can be found on our website:
- Resume clearly stating your experience related to this position as described in the Duties section and Qualifications section. In describing your experience, you need to be clear and specific. We may not make assumptions regarding your experience.
- Responses to the online assessment questionnaire.
- College transcripts - required to submit either unofficial transcripts or a list of courses that includes school(s) attended, school address, course title, grades earned, completion dates, department, and quarter or semester hours earned.
- Veterans' Preference Documents - DD-214 Member 4 copy (or other copy indicating character of service), VA letter stating overall/combined disability rating (percentage), and SF-15, if applicable; active duty service members: submit certification from the armed forces documenting active duty dates, expected discharge/release date, campaign medals/badges, and character of service (a certification is any written document from the armed forces that certifies you are expected to be discharged/released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after you submit the certification).
- Displaced Federal employees under ICTAP/CTAP: copy of your most recent performance appraisal, proof of eligibility, and your most current SF-50 noting position, grade level, tenure, and duty station.
EPA Announcement Policies and Procedures .
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits .
Join EPA in protecting human health and the environment and enjoy many work life quality options! Working for the EPA offers you a comprehensive benefits package that includes, in part, paid vacation, sick leave, holidays, life insurance, health benefits, and participation in the Federal Employees Retirement System. To learn more about us, visit Life and Careers at EPA .
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.