Perform functions to hire, supervise, monitor and provide direction to a team of Accountants in the preparation, review and revision of accurate monthly Financial Statements for an assigned group of Condominium and /or Homeowners Associations, within the guidelines of statutory requirements and the frameworks of the established policies and procedures of the department, while ensuring all contractual due dates are met. Additionally, directly responsible for the preparation of monthly Financial Statements for a select few complex associations within your team’s portfolio. Assist the Financial Reporting Leadership Team in maintaining compliance with accounting principles, policies, procedures and regulations.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
1. Supervise the daily functions of the assigned team, confirm processes and procedures are followed, monitor and review financial statements and related work product to ensure departmental standards of quality are maintained.
2. Ensure timeliness is a priority and deadlines are met. Communicate with your team, peers, leadership and the operations team to ensure client expectations are consistently met.
3. Prioritize, track and review accountants’ work, and monitor quality control of all transactions performed by team members.
4. Provide direction and assist in the investigation and resolution of internal and external problems and concerns. Ensure prior month outstanding open items have been resolved. Follow up and work on resolution of outstanding items within financial statements.
5. Communicate timely the potential issues that may affect the accuracy of the financial statements.
6. Provide on-going training to ensure all assigned employees are aware of and comply with company, government and customer regulations, policies, work procedures, instructions and deadlines.
7. Track and communicate goals for individual and department performance. Complete annual and semi-annual evaluation process of assigned staff and perform regular meetings to provide coaching and developmental feedback for employees. Timely communicate and document actions needed or to be taken with your leadership such as progressive disciplinary action, promotions, transfers or terminations.
8. Assist independent CPA audit firm in their audit and review of associations on a year-end, turnover, and/or periodic audit/review. Analyze and post end-of-year audit adjusting entries.
9. Provide ad-hoc reporting as needed by researching and interpreting data to answer accounting and financial questions.
10. Provide assistance to Property Managers, Regional Directors and Field support on accounting matters related to the assigned portfolio by timely responding to requests.
11. Approve associations budgets according to department standards.
12. Complete various projects as requested by leadership and to assist your peers, participate in testing and system implementations as needed.
Additional Duties & Responsibilities
1. Conduct business at all times with the highest standards of personal, professional and ethical conduct.
2. Participate in any variety of meetings and work groups to integrate activities, communicate issues, obtain approvals, resolve problems and maintain specified level of knowledge pertaining to new developments, requirements, policies, and regulatory guidelines.
3. Ensure all safety precautions are followed while performing the work.
4. Follow all policies and Standard Operating Procedures as instructed by Management.
5. Perform any range of special projects, tasks and other related duties as assigned
Supervise a team of Senior and Staff Accountants.
Education & Experience
Bachelor's degree in Accounting from an accredited college or university, minimum of five years of general ledger accounting experience. Supervisory experience a plus, CAM license; CPA certification a plus. Prior experience in the field of property management, real estate and/or residential management preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Proficiencies
- Critical thinking, complex problem solving, judgment and decision-making abilities.
- Strong organization, motivation, leadership, supervisory and interpersonal skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Detail oriented and strong organizational skills and multi-tasking skills.
- Must have a strong work ethic and be detail-oriented with excellent organizational and multitasking skills.
- Must have strong excel skills along with proficiency in Windows and Microsoft Office, including but not limited to Word, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Ability to work with sensitive or confidential information.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work well under pressure.
- Ability to work in a team environment as well as independently and be self-driven
Tools & Equipment Used
Computer and peripherals, standard and customized software applications and tools, and usual office equipment.
Physical Requirements/Working Environment
This position works under usual office conditions. The employee is required to work at a personal computer as well as be on the phone for extended periods of time. Must be able to stand, sit and walk. The incumbent must be able to work extended and flexible hours and weekends as needed. Physical demands include ability to lift up to 30 lbs.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work involves no or minimal travel.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. This is not an all-inclusive job description; therefore, management has the right to assign or reassign schedules, duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.