A Community Specialist (CS) is one who works in the homes of those residing in Northwest, Indiana providing home based services. The CS functions as both a positive role model and advocate, for a youth and their family, within the community. Youth/families are matched with a CS based on their strengths, needs and interests. A CS could be involved in a number of activities such as facilitating visits, helping a youth/family with special assignments when the youth and family team believes it is appropriate, social skills and life skills development, peer/interpersonal relationship building, personal care/hygiene/exercise, increasing awareness of community resources, etc. The CS title is an umbrella to the several roles that one can assume.
These roles include:
- Case Manager
- Homemaker/Parent Aid
- Parent Educator
- Visitation Facilitator
- Must demonstrate an ability to work with diverse individuals, exercise discretion and maintain client confidentiality, and communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Must be able to self-motivate and able to work well with minimal supervision and be able to multitask.
- Must be able to communicate effectively to primary referral sources, families, team members, school districts, and community agencies.
- Within 48hours of receiving referral, CS is expected to contact family to set up appointment times
- Knowledge of child development
- Knowledge of community resources or ability to access
- Must be at least 21 years old
- Must be able to pass all background tests
- Must have reliable transportation with valid license and insurance
- Must have strong problem solving skills
- Must meet deadlines
- Must have great observation and listening skills
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Word
- Team Player
- An enthusiasm for education and learning
- Must be willing to work evenings and weekends
- Computer literate with the ability to learn software applications
- Extremely dependable
- Bilingual skills preferred; but, not required
Must have a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university in a Human Services related field or 5 years relevant
Job Types: Part-time, Contract
Salary: $20.00 /hour
- Social Services/Tutoring/Teaching: 3 years (Preferred)
- Mental Health License (Preferred)
- Evening (Required)
- Mid-Day (Required)
- Morning (Required)