Exempt Full Time
This is an exciting time to be joining PSEG. Our commitments, which include safety, integrity, customer focus, and diversity & inclusion, are the fabric of our culture and help drive the success of our business. We are fortunate to have an outstanding workforce of diverse and highly skilled talent who move us forward in our operational excellence journey. PSEG has more than 12,000 employees who are dedicated to the communities we serve and embody our vision: People providing Safe, Reliable, Economic and Greener Energy.
The Technology Software Engineer is involved in the full systems life cycle and responsible for designing, coding, testing, implementing and supporting application software and systems. Software Engineers work closely with Business Analysts and Group Product Managers to understand the business requirements that drive the analysis and physical design of technical solutions. Software engineers may be assigned to either development or support functions. Development involves writing new programs whereas support involves upgrades, maintenance or issue resolution to existing applications and systems.
Required Skills, Competencies, Education and Experience:
- Analyzes end-user needs and designs, develops and tests software to satisfy demand. Performs build versus buy analysis for business demand.
- Partners with business analysts to translate business requirements to application requirements. May evaluate existing applications and platforms and provides recommendations for improving application performance by conducting gap analysis, identifying feasible alternative solutions, and assisting in the scope of modifications.
- Creates process flowcharts, diagrams, and other related documentation; Develops technical workflows using different modeling techniques.
- Collaborates with enterprise architects and infrastructure to integrate applications and hardware.
- Ensures that the design and application implementation meets security and QA standards. Suggests fixes to issues by doing a thorough analysis of root cause and impact of the defect.
- Analyzes application reports to ensure that the functionality and performance meets all product and service level requirements.
- Codes applications using a disciplined development process. Works on coding tasks that require skills in multiple technical environments and knowledge of a specific business area.
- Provides daily support with resolution of escalated tickets. Applies operation break fixes and other proactive maintenance activities until permanent solutions can be implemented. Supports and participates in the software deployment process for new modules, upgrades and fixes to the production environment.
- Documents functions and changes to new or modified modules and test activities/results.
- Makes modules production-ready by moving them to libraries, completing forms, following procedures, completing version control documents, etc.
Desired Skills, Competencies, Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, Information Technology, Computer Engineering or Information Sciences preferred, or 4 years of relevant experience.
- Typically requires 3 or more years of work experience in web and software development.
- Relevant certification is preferred such as Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Experience with translating business requirements into system functional and non-functional requirements.
- Experience with business and system process flow techniques using UML (e.g. Use Case Diagrams, Activity Diagrams, Entity Relationship Diagrams).
- Experience with specific phases of the software development life cycle, especially Agile, Iterative, and Waterfall.
- Ability to create both technical and non-technical end-user documentation.
- Basic knowledge of the practical application of role specific engineering science and technology including applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Ability to work independently and multi-task effectively.
- Demonstrated understanding of projects from the perspective of both client and business.
- Flexible and willing to accept a change in priorities as necessary.
- Strong attention to details.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Ability to learn new business and technical concepts.
- Able to write software code in both web and client/server environments using the following examples:
- Software Languages: Java, .Net, C, C++, HTML, XML, SQL, VBA, Node.js, Swift
- Operating Systems: Windows, Linux
- Relational Databases: SQL Server, Oracle, Aurora, Postgres, MongoDB
- Experience designing graphical user interfaces using graphical design tools (e.g. Photoshop, MS Visio)
- Experience with mobile app development (iOS, Android)
- Alexa skill development
As an employee of PSE&G or PSEG Long Island, you should be aware that during storm restoration efforts, you may be required to perform functions outside of your routine duties and on a schedule that may be different from normal operations.
This site ( http://www.pseg.com ) is strictly for candidates who are not currently PSEG employees. PSEG employees must apply for jobs internally through empower which can be accessed through the mypseg homepage by clicking on the employee center tab, then under the empower header, choose careers.
Business needs may cause PSEG to cancel or delay filling position at any time during the selection process.
Certain positions at the Company may require you to have access to Part 810-Controlled Information. Under the law, the Company is limited in who it can share this information with and in certain circumstances it is necessary to obtain specific authorization before the Company can share this information. Accordingly, if the position does require access to this information, you must complete a 10 CFR Part 810 Export Control Compliance Nationality Request Form, a copy of which will be provided to you by Talent Acquisition if an offer is made. If there is a need for specific authorization, due to the time it takes to obtain authorization from the government, we will likely not be able to further proceed with an offer.
Public Service Enterprise Group (PSEG) is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment, including the hiring process, based on any legal protected characteristic. Legally protected characteristics included, race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law in locations where PSEG employs individuals.