Scientific American, the longest continuously published magazine in the U.S., has been bringing its readers unique insights about developments in science and technology since 1845. Scientific American has 3.5 million print and tablet readers worldwide, more than 7.5 million visitors on ScientificAmerican.com, and appears in 13 translated editions, which are read in more than 30 countries.
seeks an experienced editor/reporter to cover technology and tech-related news. We are the world’s most authoritative popular science media outlet, with ambitions to expand our journalism on all platforms to better serve our audience of science enthusiasts and thought leaders—now more than 9 million globally and growing quickly.
This editor will be a key member of our news team and will be responsible for covering the tech beat on all platforms (website, print, social media, etc.) and in all forms (short- and long-form writing, video, podcasts, etc.). This is a core beat area at Scientific American,
which drives large amounts of traffic and engagement. The editor will work closely with the editorial team to report, write and edit timely articles and analyses, make freelance assignments, locate partner coverage, produce weekly newsletters and develop special reports/packages in order to meet Scientific American
’s editorial objectives and goals. The editor will also promote content and engage readership via social media and other channels, and make media and public speaking appearances. In assessing candidates’ suitability for this role, special emphasis will be placed on the demonstrated ability to generate new and unique ideas for technology-related news coverage, and to write and edit grammatically precise, well-structured copy that is polished, professional and engaging for a general audience.
- Educated to degree level
- Minimum 3 years of experience as a journalist covering technology issues
- In-depth knowledge of technology-related science, industry news, research and developments, and grasp of current events and trends in these areas
- Excellent communication, reporting, writing and editing skills
- Command and comfort with journalistic values, best practices and standards
- Familiarity with advanced reporting techniques such as investigations, data journalism, Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests and multimedia
- Demonstrated skill in working with teams, especially in digital media
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills, including the ability to multi-task and work on deadline
- Command and comfort with social media best practices and standards
- Familiarity and comfort with online media analytics
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following “Equal Employment Opportunity Is The Law” poster: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf.
For information about our Research Editorial and Publishing career opportunities please visit the new Springer Nature E&P website at www.springernature.com/editorial-and-publishing-jobs.
Springer Nature is a leading global research, educational and professional publisher, home to an array of respected and trusted brands providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services.
Springer Nature is the world’s largest academic book publisher, publisher of the world’s highest impact journals and a pioneer in the field of open research. The company numbers almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries and has a turnover of approximately EUR 1.5 billion. Springer Nature was formed in 2015 through the merger of Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan, Macmillan Education and Springer Science+Business Media.