Under the direction of the AVP of Human Resources & Operations, the Benefits Specialist position is responsible for managing and planning the day-to-day administration of employee group benefits programs (including but not limited to health, dental, vision, short-term and long-term disability, worker's compensation, life insurance, flexible spending, and retirement plans).The position is also responsible for managing leaves of absence.
The Benefits Specialist provides excellent customer service and quality benefits plan compliance, looks for continuous improvement solutions for existing programs, as well as assisting with the design of employee health and wellness benefits programs.
- Responsible for the day-to-day administration of all employee benefit programs including but not limited to: group medical, dental, life, flexible spending, commuter, disability, worker’s compensation, and retirement benefits.
- Coordinates and processes enrollments, terminations, QLE changes, life insurance claims, retirement plan processing (loans, distributions, rollovers, etc.), and compliance testing. Oversees maintenance of employee benefits files, maintain group benefits database and timely update to all employee benefit records and eligibility file distribution.
- Coordinates with COBRA vendor to ensure eligible participants are notified and enrolled in compliance with government regulations.
- Reconciles and allocates monthly benefit invoices. Gathers reports and other data as support/back up. Obtains relevant signatures and sends paperwork to Accounts Payable for processing.
- Provides benefit orientation to new hires and newly eligible enrollees. Ensures adequate follow up and processing in the Employee Self Services (ESS) portal and/or other documentation.
- Works in conjunction with third party leave administrator to ensure all employee leave of absences are processed according to regulations and policy.
- Completes regulatory documents and submits to relevant agencies to ensure compliance when necessary (ex EEO1, OSHA Log 300.)
- Processes requests for leaves of absence, including designating type of leave and coordination with TPAs as necessary. Ensures timely completion of notices and forms. Maintains contact with employees on leave to monitor progress and coordinates prompt return to work date. Sends all related correspondence to leaves of absence. Provides regular status updates to Managers.
- Works with HRBPs to complete more complex LOA requests including but not limited to terminations. Collaborates with HRIS Specialist to ensure leave information is documented in the HRIS.
- Serves as primary contact for plan benefits vendors, third-party administrators, insurance carriers and benefits brokers. Acts as point of contact for escalated employee benefits questions. Provides timely response to benefits enrollment and plan utilization questions ensuring exemplary customer service to employees.
- Works closely with Coordinator team (administrative support) to ensure timely and accurate data entry, mailing, distribution, and follow-up.
- Oversees the annual open enrollment benefit cycle including scheduling vendors/brokers. Plays integral role in benefit renewal process by coordinating data collection and ensuring accuracy and timely delivery of information to broker and/or carrier.
- Coordinates employee wellness plan activities and tracks employee progress to ensure wellness goals are met.
- Provides meaningful contributions in meetings
- Builds and maintains a good working knowledge of benefit legislations, industry standards and best practices, incorporating standards into processes and procedures. Proactively suggests improvements based on feedback, claims trends and market practice.
- Performs any other job-related duties as assigned.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $60,000.00 to $90,000.00 /year
- management: 5 years (Required)
- leave of absence: 5 years (Required)
- bene: 5 years (Required)
- disability plans: 1 year (Required)
- Title VII, COBRA, ACA, Section 125, ERISA: 5 years (Required)
- COBRA: 5 years (Required)