This role oversees the successful onboarding of new nurse hires, nurses new to specialty, and proficient nurses to the Adult and Pediatric Emergency Departments. It includes mentoring and supporting new graduate nurses in the Nurse Residency Program. Role also includes nurse preceptor growth and development. This position also supports campus wide professional development activities and system initiatives.
The Clinical Mentor:
Orients, mentors, educates, and develops new graduate, novice, advanced beginner, and experienced nursing staff to ensure knowledge integration, skills obtainment, and competency development to be able to deliver high-quality nursing care throughout the system while providing high levels of support to insure a smooth transition into professional practice.
Creates a supportive learning environment for all clinical staff, especially novice and advanced beginner nurses by actively mentoring self-development activities to develop and support experiential learning and the development of clinical expertise allowing staff to deliver high-quality nursing care by promoting evidence-based practice and using the nursing professional practice model.
Assists in the designs, coordinates delivery, and assists in the presentation of educational programs to promote career progression for nurses at all experience levels.
Serves as the primary contact for development and coordination of unit-based preceptors and is responsible for coordination of continued development and mentoring employees in the preceptor role.
Integrates new knowledge, develops new skills and increases critical thinking application as individual nurses advance in the development of their clinical experiences to meet the clinical and social adjustment needs of complex patient populations.
Contributes to quality and safety initiatives across the organization to consistently apply process improvement techniques to improve care delivery practices. IND1 #LI-CR2
Our commitment to keeping patients safe, means there’s no safer place for you to work. We safeguard our patients, by safeguarding our team members.
- Inova is well stocked with the best and latest PPE
- Masks are provided to patients entering our buildings, and offered free to visitors
- Covid-19 patients are isolated in dedicated areas
- Inova operates curbside Covid-19 testing sites that are far removed from the main facilities
- All team members are trained in the latest screening guidelines
- Three years progressive experience in clinical nursing in designated specialty. Experience serving as preceptor. Prefer: Experience with teaching, mentoring, and coaching nursing staff, especially new graduate and novice nurses.
- BSN Degree from an accredited school of nursing.
- BLS for healthcare provider.
- Licensed or eligible for licensing in the Commonwealth of Virginia as a Registered Nurse.
- General nursing skill sets. Ability to work in various clinical settings. Prefer: Ability to work across multiple clinical service lines.
- Proficient in English. Strong verbal and written communication skills. Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to display a caring demeanor toward others.
- Proficient computer skills required.
Work Site Location
INOVA FAIRFAX MEDICAL CAMPUS