Survey Crew Chief
Stahl Sheaffer Engineering, LLC (Stahl Sheaffer) is a multi-discipline civil engineering firm that has been providing services since 2006, now with over 170 employees our civil engineering firm operates from 9 locations in Pennsylvania, Ohio, and West Virginia, including a geotech lab in southwestern PA. Stahl Sheaffer's areas of expertise include: bridge design and inspection, construction inspection and administration, environmental services, geotechnical services, GIS services, land development, permitting, roadway management, structural engineering, survey and 360° scanning and transportation enhancement.
Stahl Sheaffer is currently seeking a Survey Crew Chief with 3 to 5 years of field surveying experience for the Morgantown, WV office.
Survey Crew Chief Responsibilities:
- Will work primarily in the field on control, boundary, topographic, DOT, construction and pipeline/natural gas surveys.
- Collect survey data as required in accordance with industry and client specifications, scopes of work, and work plans.
- Perform mathematical calculations and field checking/staking.
- Must be able perform tasks and solve problems with a high degree of independence.
- Daily uploading and downloading of data collectors.
- Supervise all members of the survey crew.
- Daily coordination with field coordinator, project managers and other office staff.
- Willing and able to continually learn new techniques and processes as well as operate various types of equipment to become more efficient.
- Provide technical assistance for CADD operators, designers and coordinate site visits with project team personnel.
- Assist others on the survey crew.
- Occasionally work with other disciplines as needed.
- May also perform some office duties, including data reduction, field note reduction, calculations, data checks and staking computations using survey computer programs and AutoCAD.
Survey Crew Chief Required Experience:
- A high school diploma, or equivalent, is required.
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years of experience in surveying, preferably in Boundary Retracement, Energy or Construction.
- Must be proficient with Topcon equipment. (GPS, Robotics, Total Stations, Levels, and Data Collectors).
- MS Office Suite.
- Must be able to work effectively with other technical professionals.
- Ability to write legibly and convey technical information as well as the ability to effectively present information, communicate, and respond to questions from groups of co-workers, clients and the general public is required.
- Effective communication skills, both orally and written are essential.
- OSHA 10, Safeland USA and CPR/First Aid or ability and willingness to acquire it.
- Candidate must possess a valid drivers’ license in good standing.
- The ability to obtain background clearances to permit working on-site for certain clients.
Survey Crew Chief Preferred Experience:
- Associate Degree or higher in a survey program or equivalent.
- Land Surveyor in Training (LSIT) is preferred.
- 5 years of experience in the role of Crew Chief is preferred.
- Direct survey experience with energy and natural gas pipelines is a plus.
- Computer skills with AutoCAD Civil 3D, ARC GIS, and Topcon Magnet Software is a plus.
Survey Crew Chief Physical Requirements:
- Physically mobile in and around construction sites and field assignments.
- Ability to carry survey equipment and supplies in remote, rugged, rural or urban surroundings.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds and walk long distances.
- Required to stand for long periods of time and/or walk long distances.
- Must be able to work overtime as needed.
- The ability to travel and work outside, in all types of weather, is a requirement.
Stahl Sheaffer offers a very generous compensation and benefits package which includes:
- PPO Health Insurance
- Health Reimbursable Agreement program for the health insurance deductible
- Company paid Dental and Vision insurance
- Company paid Life, AD&D, Short-Term & Long-Term Disability Insurances
- Flexible Spending Account program
- 401(k) Savings Plan
- Vacation & Sick Time
- Licensure Assistance
- Training Assistance
- Educational Assistance
A selection will be made when the correct candidate is identified. E. O. E.
Job Type: Full-time
- field surveying: 3 years (Preferred)
- role of Crew Chief: 5 years (Preferred)
- surveying: 3 years (Preferred)
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)