Posting Date Nov 04, 2019
Job Number 19150925
Job Category Event Management
Location Provo Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, 101 West 100 North, Provo, Utah, United States VIEW ON MAP
Brand Marriott Hotels Resorts /JW Marriott
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
Marriott International portfolio of brands includes both JW Marriott and Marriott Hotels.
Marriott Hotels, Marriott International’s flagship brand with more than 500 global locations, is advancing the art of hosting so that our guests can travel brilliantly. As a host with Marriott Hotels, you will help keep this promise by delivering premium choices, sophisticated style, and well-crafted details. With your skills and imagination, together we will innovate and reinvent the future of travel.
JW Marriott is part of Marriott International's luxury portfolio and consists of more than 80 beautiful properties in gateway cities and distinctive resort locations around the world. JW believes our associates come first. Because if you’re happy, our guests will be happy. It’s as simple as that. Our hotels offer a work experience unlike any other, where you’ll be part of a community and enjoy a true camaraderie with a diverse group of co-workers. JW creates opportunities for training, development, recognition and most importantly, a place where you can really pursue your passions in a luxury environment. Treating guests exceptionally starts with the way we take care of our associates. That’s The JW Treatment™.
Manages event management functions and staff on a daily basis, including Event Planning, Banquets/Catering, Event Service and Event Technology (and Destination Management if applicable). Responsibilities include preparing event documentation and coordinating with Sales, property departments and customers to ensure consistent, high-level service throughout pre-event, event and post-event phases of property events, ensuring property events have a seamless turnover from sales to service back to sales. Maximizesrevenue opportunities by up-selling and/or offering enhancements to create outstanding events, as well as accurately forecasting all events. Develops and directs event planning and operational team to provide consistent, high quality service.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or GED; 3 years experience) in event management, food and beverage, sales and marketing and/or related professional area.
- 2-year degree from an accredited university in Hotel and Restaurant Management, Hospitality, Business Administration, or related major; at least 2 years experience in the event management. food and beverage, sales and marketing and/or related professional area required.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Managing Event Logistics and Operations (Planning)
- Ensures that events progress seamlessly by following established procedures, collaborating with other employees, and ensuring accuracy.
- Ensures customer is promptly greeted during the event phase, hands off to the Event Operations team for the execution of details, and executes the event (as appropriate).
- Adheres to all standards, policies, and procedures.
- Ensures billing accuracy and conducts bill reviews with the clients prior to processing the final bill.
- Manages group room blocks and meeting space for average to large-sized assigned groups.
- Identifies operational challenges associated with his/her group and determines how to best work with the property staff and customer to solve these challenges\ and/or develop alternative solutions.
- Applies knowledge of all laws, as they relate to an event.
- Uses his/her judgment to integrate current trends in event management and event design.
- Acts as liaison between field sales person and customer throughout the event process (pre-event, event, post-event).
- Participates in customer site inspections and assists with the sales process as necessary.
- Performs other duties as assigned to meet business needs.
- Solicits feedback from the property departments to identify areas for improvement to enhance the Event Planner’s experience.
Supporting the Management of Event Operations (Event Operations)
- Ensures function rooms are set according to event documentation (Banquet Event Orders, resumes, etc.) and customer requirements.
- Assists in maintaining the inventory of function room amenities, service equipment and other controllable supplies.
- Uses banquet beverage records to control liquor costs and manage the banquet beverage perpetual inventory.
- Attends pre-event meetings as needed to understand group needs.
- Communicates critical information to Event Service Team.
- Maintains cleanliness and sanitation standards in all banquet operation areas.
- Conducts room function inspections prior to each event to ensure the room is set according to specifications, as appropriate.
- Maintains up to date attendance log for Event employees, as appropriate.
- Delegates tasks to ensure room sets are “on time” and meet Event Service Standards, as appropriate.
- Communicates expected performance and trains staff in processes (as appropriate).
Ensuring and Providing Exceptional Customer Service for Property Events
- Delivers excellent customer service throughout the customer experience and encourages the same from other employees.
- Empowers employees to provide excellent customer service.
- Sets a positive example for guest relations.
- Coordinates and communicates event details both verbally and in writing to the customer and property operations.
- Makes presence known to customer at all times during this process.
- Oversees his/her customer experiences from file turnover through the post event phase until turnover back to sales.
- Follows up with customer post-event.
- Responds to and handles guest problems and complaints.
- Uses personal judgment and expertise to enhance the customer experience.
- Stays available to solve problems and/or suggest alternatives to previous arrangements.
- Works to continually improve customer service by integrating obtained feedback and personal judgment into action plans.
- Emphasizes guest satisfaction during all departmental meetings and focuses on continuous improvement.
- Interacts with guests to obtain feedback on product quality and service levels.
- Ensures hourly employees understand expectations and parameters for event activities.
Leading Event Management Teams
- Conducts formal pre- and post-event meetings as required to review/communicate group needs and feedback.
- Leads formal pre-event and post-event meetings for average to large-sized assigned groups.
- Facilitates various meetings as he/she perceives necessary (Banquet Event Order meeting, block review, etc).
Supporting and Coordinating with the Sales and Marketing Function
- Assists in the sales process and revenue forecasting for customer groups.
- Up-sells products and services throughout the event process.
- Forecasts group sleeping rooms and event revenue (catering and audio visual) for his/her groups.
Conducting Human Resources Activities
- Reviews comment cards and guest satisfaction results with employees.
- Observes service behaviors of employees and provides feedback to individuals and/or managers.
- Assists in the development and implementation of corrective action plans.
- Takes initiative to use his/her experience to improve service performance according to his/her evaluation of the issue and resolution.
- Works with the property staff and customers to address operational challenges associated with his/her group.
- Identifies the developmental needs of others and coaches, mentors, or otherwise helps others to improve their knowledge or skills.
- Participates in an ongoing employee recognition program.
- Participates in the employee performance appraisal process, assisting with the completion of annual performance reviews.
- Supports training when appropriate.
- Participates in the interviewing and hiring of employee team members with the appropriate skills.
- Assists in establishing guidelines so employees understand job expectations and parameters.
- Communicates and executes departmental and hotel emergency procedures and ensures staff are trained in safety procedures.
- Schedules employees to ensure shift coverage and meet business demands and productivity goals.
- Performs other duties as assigned to meet business needs.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.